IU Health Strong Schools
Are you looking for ways to increase the amount of physical activity your students are receiving each day? Do you want to increase their knowledge of healthy eating or increase their access to healthy foods? Indiana University Health Strong Schools is committed to improving health for our students in grades K-8.
Because healthier kids tend to learn better1, IU Health will provide IU Health Strong Schools grants to schools serving grades K-8 in the counties that house an IU Health hospital across the state.
The following IU Health Strong Schools grants are available:
- $1500 award – Awarded to schools with plans to focus on increasing physical activity minutes.
- $3000 award – Awarded to schools with plans to focus on increasing physical activity minutes AND increasing knowledge of healthy eating or access to healthy foods.
Each school has the opportunity to receive additional funding from IU Health to purchase a new or renewal license for FitnessGram software to assess student physical fitness throughout the grant process. These licenses are valued at $149 for a renewal and $599 for a new license. Learn more about FitnessGram.
Need ideas on how to increase physical activity at your school?
Watch this video about our 2015-2016 IU Health Strong Schools and see the amazing ways they increased daily physical activity at their school.
Still looking for ways to increase physical activity? Click on one of these videos below to learn more:
The 2017-2018 IU Health Strong Schools application is now available. Please review the supporting materials below to assist in the application process or apply now using the online Strong Schools application.
Please review the materials below before applying for the 2017-2018 IU Health Strong Schools grant. These materials contain important information about the application requirements:
- IU Health Strong Schools grant overview: This document provides an overview of the grant requirements and timeline.
- IU Health Strong Schools paper application: This document has been made available to schools for planning purposes only. Only online applications will be accepted.
- Frequently asked questions: This document provides answers to questions that are frequently asked during the IU Health Strong Schools application period and grant period.
- Draft Memorandum of Understanding for 2017-2018 school year: Check back later for an example MOU. This document is not finalized at this point, but should be soon!
- Budget form: Example of budget form that is required for all funded schools to submit before first payment is distributed.
- Program evaluation form: Example of program evaluation form that is required for all funded schools to submit before first payment is distributed.
Application deadline: Monday, May 1, 2017
Have questions about the application process?
Please join us on April 3 from 3:30-4:00pm on a webinar to learn more about the application process, including what information is required for applying to be an IU Health Strong School. RSVP here to receive a link in order to join the webinar. Only registered participants will receive the link.
1 Basch, 2010; USDHHS, 2010; Hillman, et al., 2009; Trudeau & Shephard, 2008; Active Living Research, 2007