Team Members in the Community
To take service outside the walls of our facilities, Indiana University Health created Strength That Cares, a team member volunteer program, to positively impact the health of the community and foster a culture of engagement and social responsibility.
The Strength That Cares program is 10,600 members strong, spanning across the state.
Current statewide volunteer initiatives include:
IU Health Day of Service
- The IU Health Day of Service is a high-impact event aimed at engaging IU Health team members in activities that address identified community outreach priority.
- In response to the need for more physical activity assets to help combat obesity in the communities IU Health serves.
- Last year, the 2015 IU Health Day of Service resulted in more than 2,000 IU Health volunteers building better communities across the state.
- This year's 2016 Day of Service will be different because each hospital system will be doing separate activites that ladder up to Healthy Weight and Nutrition.
- Sign up here to make an impact in your community with your fellow IU Health Team Members
- Realizing the strong link between education and health outcomes, IU Health partnered with United Way of Central Indiana and Indiana Association of United Ways to offer Kindergarten Countdown. The program prepares at-risk Hoosier children for success in kindergarten through camps in 10 counties and 13 schools.
- Campers had a 19% increase in Get Ready to Read scores from the beginning to end of camp.