We are leaders in surgical anesthesia and in pain medicine.
Our expert physicians offer advanced anesthesia and pain management options both inside and outside of the hospital.
Experiencing pain while receiving medical treatment, whether it is caused by your condition or a surgical procedure, slows the healing process and decreases your quality of life. Indiana University Health anesthesia specialists are experts in managing your pain and keeping you comfortable before, during and after surgery. Our physicians focus on your comfort and safety so you have the best healthcare experience possible.
IU Health anesthesiologists provide services throughout the hospital to assist a wide variety of patients, including:
- In post-surgical care, we control your pain so you can rest easily. Throughout your recovery in the hospital, we offer pain management so you can participate in rehabilitation and other therapies that help you heal.
- Our anesthesiologists in labor and delivery administer epidural pain relief to alleviate the pain of labor.
- Anesthesiology services are available around the clock to assist with emergency procedures, such as traumatic injuries or cardiac stent placement in heart attack patients.
- We assist patients outside the hospital with chronic, debilitating pain to find long-term pain management solutions that allow them to live healthy, active lives.
We are dedicated to providing you with personalized care that meets your needs and preferences. Our commitment to patient- and family-centered care ensures that you play a key role in developing your treatment plan for surgery, labor and delivery and pain management.
Select a Anesthesiology condition below to access information from our Health Library as well as how IU Health can help.
- Anesthesia After Surgery
- Anesthesia in Critical Care & Trauma
- Anesthesia Before Surgery
- Anesthesia in the Operating Room
- Anesthesia During Childbirth
- Anesthesia with Pain Management
- Anesthesia During Surgery
- Clinical Research in Anesthesiology
- Anesthesia For Outpatient Surgery & Procedures
- Surgical Anesthesia
- Anesthesia in Ambulatory Clinics & Physicians Offices
Our physicians are building the future
IU Health specialists work closely with the Indiana University School of Medicine to conduct research and train the next generation of anesthesiologists. By offering residences and fellowship training, we can be sure that our patients continue to receive high-quality care that follows evidence-based quality and safety measures.
Through clinical research and expertise, we bring new knowledge to patient care. Our anesthesiologists continually look for ways to improve the surgical experience, increase patient safety and find new ways to control pain. We are dedicated to providing the latest techniques and advances in anesthesiology to our patients.
Get more information
Learn more about anesthesiologists, what they do and how they are trained by visiting the website below:
The Role of the Anesthesiologist: Lifeline to Modern Medicine (American Society of Anesthesiologists) This page features an overview of the many services anesthesiologists provide, both in and out of the operating room.
Know Your Anesthesiologist: Lifeline to Modern Medicine (American Society of Anesthesiologists) This page describes the broad expertise and responsibilities of anesthesiologists, as well as the training and education required to practice anesthesiology.