Family Medicine Residency
- Graduate Medical Education
- Family Medicine Residency
- Internal Medicine Residency
- Transitional Year Residency
Welcome to the Family Medicine Residency Program at Indiana University Health Ball Memorial Hospital in Muncie
Thank you for checking out our site, and for your interest in our residency program. IU Health Ball Memorial Family Medicine has a national reputation for top-quality training in the full breadth of our vital specialty, including strong procedural and global health experience, in the setting of a wonderfully supportive, family-friendly atmosphere. Residents from all across the nation come to IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital to interview with our program and see what we’re about.
Here are some of the reasons why future family doctors get excited about our program:
- Our residents are given the opportunity to tailor their training to meet their interests and future practice plans. We have recent graduates who are full-spectrum, ambulatory-only, sports medicine, hospitalist, emergency department, urgent care, and entrepreneurs, and who practice in urban, suburban, and rural settings. Focused training tracks encourage residents to identify interests and opportunities early in training.
- We treat our learners as adult, professional medical learners. Our residents have continuity patients in personal panels for all three years of residency and follow those patients both inpatient and outpatient. Residents are respected throughout the hospital, and experience a high level of autonomy throughout their training.
- Dedicated, energetic faculty who bring a variety of experience from different backgrounds in family medicine, including private practice, military, emergency, and hospitalist medicine.
- We provide excellent ambulatory training in our $9.5 million, 62,000-square-foot Edmund F. Ball Medical Education Center. The center, which was completed in 2000, also houses the Muncie campus of the IUSM and the Janice B. Fisher Learning (simulation) Center. Our residency practice is recognized by the National Committee for Quality Assurance as a level 2 Patient-Centered Medical Home.
- Comprehensive structured inpatient experiences in adult medicine, critical care, pediatrics, neonatal and maternity care are balanced for optimal learning and provide an outstanding diversity of experience.
- Interested residents learn advanced procedures starting the moment they enter training. Opportunities exist for training in cesarean section, colonoscopy, colposcopy, and more.
- Residents have many opportunities to experience care of the underserved, locally, nationally, and globally. Each year residents travel to Kenya, Mexico, and many other destinations on short-term medical missions.
- We innovate. We are constantly adapting to a changing healthcare environment. Residents are seen as leaders within healthcare, both here and in the larger system. You will have a voice to advocate, and opportunities to grow your skills in leading teams and community advocacy.
- As the first accredited family medicine program in Indiana, IU Health Ball Memorial Family Medicine Residency has a proud tradition of excellence in educating family doctors. IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital is one of the premier training programs in the nation, and our compassionate, supportive atmosphere also makes us one of the friendliest.
- Please visit with us to learn how we can help you achieve your goals and become the best family doctor you can be.
Justin Whitt, MD, FAAFP
IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital
Family Medicine Residency