Allergy & Asthma
At Indiana University Health Bedford Hospital, we take a comprehensive, patient-centered approach to treating asthma and allergies and work with you to develop a personalized treatment plan. We understand how debilitating breathing problems can be and how allergies can affect your everyday life. Our team of specialists uses the latest research and testing to diagnose your condition, identify your triggers, manage your symptoms and uncover the cause(s) of your allergy or asthma.
Indiana University Health Asthma Services is the premier facility for the treatment of asthma. We also treat allergic reactions, environmental allergies, food allergies and many other breathing-related conditions.
As educators, we look forward to increasing awareness of asthma. Together, with physicians, nurse practitioners and other healthcare professionals, we provide compassionate care and support to our community with proper disease education and management needed to improve each patient’s quality of life.
We know that living with the symptoms of asthma can range from being mildly annoying to potentially life threatening. From prevention to the latest in treatment options, our goal is to help you breathe easier season after season.
Jump ahead on this page
When working with patients in our asthma management program, we set and work toward several goals:
- Minimal or no chronic symptoms, day or night
- Minimal or no exacerbations (reduction in emergency department visits and hospital inpatient days)
- No limitations on activities; no missed school or work due to asthma
- Maintenance of normal or near-normal pulmonary functions
- Minimal use of short-acting inhaled beta-agonists
- Minimal or no adverse effects from medications
- Good self-care and asthma management by the patient/family