Certified by the American Diabetes Association
Living Better with Diabetes
If you or a family member have been diagnosed with diabetes, Indiana University Health Bedford Hospital can help with a wide range of outpatient programs and services. Our team of experienced diabetes educators have created a comprehensive program to help you and your family gain the knowledge, skills, and attitudes you need to achieve and maintain control of your diabetes.
Learn about aspects of self-care including medication management, diet and nutritional requirements.
- Achieve and maintain good diabetes control.
- Prevent any acute or long-term complications that may occur.
- Diabetes is a lifelong disease, and information and skills you need to manage your diabetes may change over time.
Therefore, we offer:
- Individualized sessions for Type 1 Diabetes and intensive diabetes self-management including insulin pump therapy.
- In-group or individual sessions for Type 2 Diabetes.
- Gestational diabetes counseling.
For more information, or to sign up for our diabetes education classes, call 812.275-1233.
TOPICS FOR DIABETES EDUCATION CLASSES
Introduction to Diabetes Explores:
- How diabetes affects bodily functions;
- The difference between Type 1 and Type 2;
- The relationship between good control and prevention of complications and the essential components of diabetes management.
- Hyperglycemia and Monitoring
- Learn about the causes of high blood sugar and diabetic coma, its symptoms, treatment, and prevention. You will learn how to monitor your own blood glucose.
MEDICATION AND HYPOGLYCEMIA
We'll cover the different types of insulin and their actions in the body. Oral medications will be described, and we'll talk about how they work and their potential side effects. We will also discuss low blood sugar, its causes, symptoms, treatment and prevention.
We'll review the ever important relationships between insulin, food, monitoring and exercise. There is a way to fit the foods you like into your meal plan, eat out, snack and enjoy your favorite recipes. We'll talk about food product labels and how they can help every day as well as eating heart healthy.
Our program includes the benefits of exercise, foot and eye care, what do do during sick days and while traveling, the effect of stress on diabetes and behavior changes needed to live better and stay healthy.
Call 812.275.1233 for more information or to sign up for a class.