History of IU Health Blackford
- In The Community
- History of IU Health Blackford
- Mission, Vision & Values
- Volunteer Opportunities
The Early Years
On April 8, 1923, Indiana University Health Blackford Hospital opened its doors to serve the residents of the community. Superintendent Emma Stoll boasted a staff of "four efficient nurses." Doctors and nurses felt lucky to work in the most state-of-the-art facility in the area at the time. The new hospital featured a maternity room and delivery room with the latest in birthing technology. The operating room was lit with immense skylights to provide doctors the greatest amount of light possible to perform their delicate work. There were also special sun parlors, kitchens and private rooms. The latest equipment was used throughout the facility. Another exceptional feature was the spacious living quarters for the staff. During this time, it was not uncommon for nursing staff to live at the hospital during their employment returning home only on days off.
Growth and Prosperity
IU Health Blackford Hospital continued to grow and prosper over the next 30 years. The growth required the addition of a new wing, which was completed in 1958. Success followed and by 1967, the building erected in 1923 no longer met the needs of the community. The once-majestic original structure was demolished in June 1972 after another wing adjoining the 1958 addition was completed.
The New Millennium
IU Health Blackford Hospital moved toward the new millennium with a multimillion-dollar renovation and expansion. The project, completed in June 1999, received tremendous support from the community and staff in the way of monetary donations. The contribution was appropriately named "Our Gift To You." In February 2000, the hospital became certified by Medicare as a critical access hospital.
A New Beginning and Location
In January 2005, IU Health Blackford Hospital opened a new campus. The facility included a new 15-bed hospital with all private rooms, a new attached medical office building and a new ambulance garage. The complex is built on one floor and occupies more than 55,000 square feet of space. The new buildings are beautifully designed to accomodate all patient and visitor needs.
The medical office building houses IU Health Blackford Pharmacy and Blackford County Medical Group.