The surgeons at Indiana University Health Blackford Hospital have experience in performing many types of surgery. We offer the advances in minimally invasive surgery, which provides many benefits to the patient, including less pain, shorter recovery time and a faster return to daily activities.
Located near the main entrance, the Surgery Department at IU Health Blackford Hospital operates two surgical suites, a post-anesthesia care unit, a short stay unit and a gastrointestinal laboratory. Anesthesiology services are provided for surgical patients. We offer a full range of services for hospital patients and outpatients, including:
- Robotic surgical approaches. Advanced robotic-assisted surgical procedures are minimally invasive and allow surgeons to perform operations through small incisions in the body for procedures that once required open surgery. Through tiny incisions, surgeons are able to operate with greater precision and control.
- Laparoscopic surgery. This type of minimally invasive surgery involves multiple small incisions in the abdomen through which the surgeon performs the procedure using small, specialized tools and a camera.
- Endoscopic surgery. During this type of minimally invasive surgery, the physician inserts a tube with a camera and other small attachments into the esophagus or rectum. A tiny light and video camera attached to the end of the endoscope allows the doctor to see the inside of your body on a viewing screen.
- Orthopedic surgery. Our surgeons provide advanced orthopedic surgery options for a variety of conditions involving the musculoskeletal system.
- Urologic surgery. We offer less invasive surgical options for a broad range of conditions that affect the male reproductive organs and the organs of the urinary tract.
- Ear, nose and throat surgery. We offer the latest advancements in surgery for conditions affecting the ear, nose and throat.
The surgical services team works together to provide you with the best possible care, from admission through discharge from the hospital. Even after you go home, we make follow-up phone calls to ensure we maintained your rights, ethics and satisfaction throughout your stay.
Through our partnership with Indiana University School of Medicine, one of the largest medical schools in the country, we have access to training programs and advanced research that bring the latest surgical advancements straight to our patients.