I received the monthly email from the Obesity Action Coalition and thought I would share their Fast Facts for the month of September. For more information, you can go to obesityaction.org.
- “Band over bypass” refers to one of the tools surgeons have available to assist patients who gained weight after what was initially a successful gastric bypass operation.
- Fats provide nine calories per gram, as opposed to carbohydrates or protein which provide only four calories per gram.
- Where we live, what we eat, and how we choose to protect ourselves from the sun have all contributed to a recent increase in vitamin D insufficiency and deficiency across the U.S.
- Cardiovascular exercise is any rhythmic motion using large muscle groups that increase the heart rate. As you increase the heart rate, your body temperature will also increase causing your body to burn calories.
- As you progress through your weight-loss journey, your body is adapting to a stricter diet and exercise program. Unless you continually update your program to reflect the changes your body has already experienced, you will plateau because of the adaptation that has taken place.