Eating healthy does not always come easy us. Try substituting some ingredients with healthier ones. Below is a list of a few ingredients you can swap out of your recipe to make it healthier. (And be sure to check out the healthy recipe below!)
If the recipe calls for ...
|Bacon||Canadian bacon, turkey bacon, or smoked turkey|
|Bread, white||Whole-grain bread|
|Butter, margarine||Cooking spray or nonstick pans|
|Eggs||Two egg whites or ¼ cup egg substitute|
|Fruit canned in syrup||Fruit canned in own juice or water or fresh fruit|
|Ground beef||Extra-lean or lean ground beef|
|Mayonnaise||Reduced-calorie mayonnaise-type salad dressing|
|Meat as main ingredient||Three times as many vegetables as meat|
|Milk, evaporated||Evaporated skim milk|
|Milk, whole||Reduced-fat or fat-free milk|
|Pasta, enriched white||Whole-wheat pasta|
|Rice, white||Brown rice, wild rice, bulgur or pearl barley|
|Salad dressing||Fat-free or reduced calorie dressing|
Low-fat Breakfast muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (substitute 1 cup whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour for 1 cup all purpose)
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup sugar (instead of the called for 1 and 1/4 cups of sugar)
- 1 ½ cups finely shredded carrots
- 2 large tart apples, peeled and shredded
- ½ cup raisins
- ¾ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 3 lightly beaten eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil (instead of the called for 1 cup vegetable oil)
- 1 cup + 1 Tbsp Unsweetened applesauce (added to compensate for the oil)
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line muffin tins with baking cups; set aside.
- Sift flour with cinnamon, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl. Stir in sugar until blended. Then add carrots, apples, raisins, coconut, and pecans until blended. Make a well in center of mixture and pour in eggs, oil, and vanilla all at once. Stir just until mixture is evenly moist.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins, filling at least ¾ full. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.