Indiana University Health La Porte Hospital offers a Spanish/English and Polish/English medical interpreters course to the public.
The eight-week course includes Saturday classes and Friday labs from March 19 to May 28. There will be no class on April 29 and April 30. Saturday classes are from 8 am to 4:30 pm and Friday labs are from 6 pm to 8 pm (lab times negotiable) at IU Health La Porte Hospital, 1007 Lincolnway, room B113, lower level. In addition, students must complete a 10-hour practicum to be scheduled at the student’s and instructor’s convenience.
The course includes 80 hours of classroom training, pre- and post-tests, a midterm exam and final oral/written exams. Participants will:
- Acquire the core knowledge and skills needed to handle advanced medical interpretation situations
- Learn how to organize and prioritize the knowledge needed for each medical encounter
- Learn the national code of ethics, standards of practice, roles of the interpreter and types of interpreting
- Learn advanced anatomy, physiology and medical terminology
- Learn memory and note taking techniques
The course is designed for individuals who are bilingual in English/Spanish or English/Polish, have a desire to learn how to be a professional interpreter and wish to further their education and expertise. Prerequisites include a completion of a language proficiency and entry exam administered by the course instructor. To schedule an appointment, call 219.326.1234, ext. 4629.
Cost is $800 and includes textbook and all training materials, and is payable by cash, money order or credit card. To reserve a spot in the class, call 219.326.2322.