I've noticed a lot of people asking where they can find recipes for the Liver Reduction Diet. Well, here are two that I found we had posted over a year ago on our blog.
The first one is Ketchup - yep, that's right. You can make this ketchup and store it in sealed glass jars in the refrigerator - so you don't have to give up this condiment! I think I may actually try this at home. I am not on the liver reduction diet, but I have tons of tomatoes from our garden, and this sounds like a much healthier recipe than the store bought stuff!
Liver Reduction Diet Approved Ketchup
2 cloves garlic chopped
½ teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
½ teaspoon celery seeds
¼ teaspoon whole allspice
¼ teaspoon black peppercorns
3 pounds heirloom tomatoes cut into chunks (about 4 1/2 cups)
2 cups onion chopped (1 medium)
1 cup red bell pepper chopped (1 small)
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon splenda
½ teaspoon salt
· Prepare garlic; let stand 10 minutes, place mustard seeds, celery seeds, allspice, and peppercorns on a double layer of cheesecloth. Gather edges of cheesecloth together; Tie securely.
· Combine cheesecloth bag, garlic, tomatoes, and next 3 ingredients (through vinegar) in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil.
· Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Remove cheesecloth bag and set aside. Place half of tomato mixture in a blender.
· Remover center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender.
· Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth.
· Strain smooth mixture through a fine mesh sieve back into pan; discard solids.
· Repeat procedure with remaining cooked tomato mixture. Add cheesecloth bag, splenda, and salt to pan, and bring to boil.
· Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered until reduced to 1 cup (about 45 minutes).
· 1 tablespoon contains 23 calories, 0.2 g of Fat, 0.9g Protein, 5g carbs, 1.2g Fiber, 0.3mg Iron, 79mg of Sodium, 11mg Calc.
Here is another recipe:
Liver Reduction Diet Pizza
6 slices Canadian bacon (the larger one)
1 can of chopped tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic
2% mozzarella shredded cheese
Spray a backing sheet with Pam lay out 6 slices of Canadian bacon
Top with spoons full of tomatoes, mushrooms, and cheese
Bake in oven at 400ºF until cheese melts (about 10-15 minutes) or microwave for 2-3 minutes