Spring is finally here and plants are in full bloom. Do you know which plants in your home, garden and yard that can be poisonous? Plants are among the top ten agents that cause poisoning in young children under the age of six. Ten percent of all poison exposures happen in the spring and summer months.
Q: How Do I Know Which Plants Are NOT Safe?
If you are unsure of what a certain plant is, take a sample to a nursery for identification. An adequate sample consists of a large piece of the plant, including leaves, stems, berries and flowers. Label all of your plants with the proper name. Make a sketch of your yard and garden, including location and name of trees, bushes, and plants. Post this “map” in a central location in your home.
Q: I Love Mushrooms, Are They Ok To Pick and Eat?
No. Remove all mushrooms in the yard, especially after rainy spells in spring and fall. There have been deaths reported from adults who have intentionally eaten wild mushrooms. It is important to call the Indiana Poison Center if any portion of a wild mushroom is eaten.
Q: How Do I Contact The Indiana Poison Center?
To contact the Indiana Poison Center call 1.800.222.1222. You can also visit the Center’s website at iuhealth.org/poisoncontrol. Contact the Indiana Poison Center if you suspect a poisoning. Do not wait for problems to develop.