Consider Alternative Halloween Fun
Halloween can be a fun holiday, and usually conjures thoughts of kids in costumes, trick-or-treating and candy. Unfortunately, it can also be dangerous: unsafe costumes, kids darting into traffic, and unhealthy candy and treats. Why not opt for something different this year? Here are some alternative ideas to the traditional Halloween:
Visit a Haunted House!
Going to a haunted house, haunted trail or even a corn maze can be a great time for exercise. There is a lot to see and do at these events, some of which might even get you running! Check the internet or your local newspaper for events close to you.
- Be a role model; eat candy only in moderation.
- Keep candy out of your child’s room, out of reach, and out of sight.
- Set a limit on how many pieces can be eaten (ie; 2 items a day) and when they can be eaten.
- Offer non-candy treats to trick-or-treaters, such as granola bars, fruit leather, raisins, toys/party favors, or mini toothbrushes
- Trade it in! Many dentists will take candy and provide prizes in return!
Try a New Recipe!
We've found a fun and healthy recipe for Apple BItes!
- Slivered Almonds
- Slice an apple into quarters.
- Cut a wedge from each quarter
- Stick almond slivers in apple to make “teeth”.
TIP: If you’re not going to serve them immediately, baste apples with orange juice to keep from browning.