Patient Rights & Responsibilities
- Advance Directives
- Community Health
- Emmi Overview
- Events Calendar
- Field Trips & Tours
- Financial Assistance
- Floor Plans
- Hotels & Transportation
- Medical Records & Forms
- Patient Rights & Responsibilities
- Patient Satisfaction
- Web Nursery
As a patient of Indiana University Health Bloomington Hospital, you (or a representative when appropriate) have the right:
- To be informed of patient rights in advance of care being provided or discontinued.
- To considerate, respectful and compassionate care which encompasses an understanding of
- cultural diversity.
- To be informed about your condition and treatment in understandable terms.
- To receive information from your physician necessary to give informed consent prior to the start of any procedure or treatment.
- To participate in the development and implementation of your plan of care, and to request or refuse treatment.
- To be completely informed if transfer to another hospital becomes necessary.
- To expect every consideration for your personal privacy in an environment that preserves dignity and contributes to a positive self-image.
- To receive care in a safe setting.
- To know the identity of your caregivers and physicians.
- To expect all communications and records pertaining to your care will be treated as confidential, and to access information contained in your clinical records within a reasonable timeframe.
- To be free from physical restraints, seclusion, or drugs that are not medically necessary (e.g., ordered for medical emergencies).
- To expect timely and appropriate assessment and treatment of physical pain and emotional or spiritual discomfort.
- To obtain information as to the relationship of this hospital to other healthcare and educational institutions.
- To receive adequate information to consent to or decline participation in clinical research.
- To expect continuity of care and to be informed of home healthcare requirements prior to discharge.
- To receive an explanation of your bill.
- To know your responsibilities as a patient.
- To expect equal medical treatment regardless of race, creed, national origin, age, disability, veterans status, sexual orientation, or gender.
- To have a family member or representative of your choice and your own physician notified promptly of your admission to the hospital.
- To have Advance Directives that express your choices about future care.
- To be free from all forms of abuse or harassment.
As a patient of IU Health Bloomington Hospital, you have the responsibility:
- To provide, to the best of your knowledge, accurate and complete information about present complaints, past illnesses, hospitalizations, medications and other matters relating to your health. It is important that you also report any changes in your condition to your doctor or nurse.
- To tell your doctor or nurse whether you clearly understand your medical treatment and what is expected of you as a patient.
- To follow the treatment plan recommended by your doctor to the best of your ability. This may include following the instructions of your nurses and other health care personnel as they carry out your doctor’s plan of care.
- To assume the consequences of your actions if you refuse treatment or do not follow your doctor’s instructions.
- To assure that the financial obligations of your health care are fulfilled as promptly as possible.
- To follow hospital rules and regulations relating to patient care and conduct.
- To be considerate of the rights of other patients and hospital personnel in the control of noise, smoking, the number of visitors, and to be respectful of the property of other persons and the hospital.
Download and print a PDF of this list of patient Rights & Responsibilities
If you have a complaint, comment or question about your care or a hospital service, we encourage you to express your thoughts to your physician or the nursing director for your unit.
You may also contact the Patient Relations Coordinator at 812.353.9556 or the Indiana State Department of Health, Complaints, 2 North Meridian, Indianapolis, IN 46204; 1.800.246.8909.
Additionally, you may contact the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations at 800.994.6610 or online at www.jcaho.org to register a complaint.