Pregnancy & Postpartum Exercise Class
- Sports Performance
- Rehabilitation & Wellness Services
- Occupational Medicine
- For Patients
- Locations & Hours
- Bouncing Back Newsletter
IU Health Bloomington Rehabilitation and Sports Medicine Center is offering an exercise class targeted to pregnant and postpartum women. The class will be taught by a physical therapist, who is specialty- trained to work with this population. It will include exercises and educational information that will help you in each stage from early in your pregnancy through the postpartum period.
Who can benefit?
- Any woman who is pregnant or postpartum may benefit from this class.
- The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists recommends pregnant women get up to 45 minutes of exercise at least 3 times per week. Exercising during pregnancy has many positive effects on the mother including reduced weight gain, improved muscle tone, and improved self-esteem. Benefits have also been shown for the baby including decreased risk of preterm delivery, decreased fetal fat mass, and higher Apgar scores.
- Light exercise may be started almost immediately in the postpartum population after uncomplicated vaginal delivery.
Who will work with me?
- A physical therapist specially trained to work with the pregnant and postpartum population will lead the class.
- The class will provide…
- Instruction in posture and body mechanics
- Instruction in safe strengthening exercises for the pelvic floor, core, back, arms, and legs during each stage of pregnancy and postpartum
- Instruction in flexibility exercises
- Information on safety considerations for exercise during pregnancy and the postpartum period
- The opportunity to meet and talk with other new and expectant mothers
- When: Mondays and Wednesdays from 5:45 pm to 6:30 pm
- Where: IU Health Bloomington Rehabilitation and Sports Medicine Center West 2499 W. Cota Drive, Bloomington
- Cost: $75 for 10 class sessions
How can I participate?
- A physician must clear you to participate in this class both during pregnancy and postpartum.
For more information or to register
Contact Heather Blanton, DPT, ATC at 812-353-5358 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.