What They Do
Central service technicians work in sterile processing areas of operating rooms, materials management and infection control departments of hospitals. Their tasks may include:
- Decontaminate, package, sterilize and distribute medical instruments and supplies.
- Monitor inventory.
- Assemble instrument and procedure trays.
- Clean and maintain sterilizer systems.
Duration of Training
Classroom: Six months, part-time — two afternoons (January class) OR two mornings (July class) per week.
Clinicals: A total of 400 hours of clinical experience in the Sterile Processing Department is required to be completed within six months of graduation.
May 7 — (July class)
Oct. 1 — (January class)
Program Start Date
January and July of each year
- Official high school transcript or GED scores
- Documentation that you are a United States citizen or possess a permanent resident visa in the USA
- Applicants without prior central service experience may be required to have a personal interview
Certificate or Degree
Certificate - Graduates receive a Completion Course of Study Certificate from IU Health. Graduates are eligibile to take the CRCST certification exam through the International Association of Healthcare Materiel Management (IAHCSMM) for a fee of $125.
Summary, Course of Study
Basic medical terminology, all aspects of infection control and sterilization, packaging, storage, inventory control, equipment maintenance and communication skills.
To train or work in this position, you must be able to perform the following tasks:
- Lift and carry up to 25 pounds frequently (occasionally up to 50 pounds). Some instrument trays weigh more than 30 pounds.
- Stand for most of an eight-hour shift.
- Reach repeatedly throughout a typical work shift.
- Use your hands to grasp and manipulate instruments (i.e., assemble instrument trays, load an autoclave).
- Communicate effectively in English to coworkers and supervisors.
- Be alert and attentive to details.
Click here for youtube video that gives a good overview of what the job of a Sterile Processing Technician involves. Sterile Processing Technician - by Donna Reich.
Request an application packet using the following contact information: