Smarty Pants Awards
- Nursing & Patient Care Education
- Health Sciences Education
- Pharmacy Residency Programs
- Physician Education
- Informatics & Business Education
- Leadership Education
- Clinical Pastoral Education
- Community, Wellness & Patient Education
- Learning Resources
- Learning Alliance Framework
- Location & Contact Information
Not everyone considers being called a Smarty Pants a good thing. But at Indiana University Health, being called a Smarty Pants is a compliment!
What are Smarty Pants Awards?
Smarty Pants Awards are a fun way to publicly recognize individuals for accomplishing one or more of the following results:
- Achieved a challenging educational goal
- Graduated from a formal training program
- Completed a difficult course of study
- Overcame a substantial barrier to learning
- Conquered adversity in an academic pursuit
- Demonstrated a significant leap in personal growth
The awards congratulate and celebrate success in progressing toward and reaching an educational milestone. They motivate and accelerate personal growth and development. They acknowledge that learning is a process which requires hard work, commitment and perseverance. The Smarty Pants Award is a fun way to say, "You're doing it! Keep hanging in there! You're making progress! And that makes YOU a Smarty Pants!"
Who can give and receive a Smarty Pants Award?
Any Indiana University Health employee or student may give a Smarty Pants Award and anyone (inside or outside of IU Health) may receive a Smarty Pants Award.
People can give, and receive, as many Smart Pants Awards as appropriate.
What does a Smarty Pants Award look like?
The giver of a Smarty Pants Award has several options on what to award. Examples include:
- A printed, suitable-for-framing Smarty Pants Award Certificate (download this one, and choose which style you like best).
- A gift card for coffee, movie tickets, etc.
- New scrub pants, decorated and signed by the giver(s)
- A public declaration or announcement of the award as a substitute for a tangible item
Or use your creativity to come up with something you know will be appreciated by your recipient. Sometimes just a, Thank you! and a pat on the back is all that's required to express your congratulations and appreciation.
How do I give a Smarty Pants Award?
There is no form to submit or approval process to undergo prior to giving an award. Just decide how, when, and where you want to honor the recipient.
If you would like your recipient to be honored publicly via the Indiana University Health Learning Alliance website, please take a few digital photographs of the award presentation and send a brief email message describing who gave the award, who won the award and why the award was given. Include other pertinent details to tell your story. Then watch for the posting on the Indiana University Health Learning Alliance website on iuhealth.org.
How are Smarty Pants Awards different from IU Health's other awards?
IU Health supports many ways of recognizing a job well done. IU Health employees may access the Employee Recognition Program and the Bronze, Silver, Gold and Team Awards through Pulse. You will be required to login using your IU Health password.
Silver and Gold Awards are commendations for demonstrating IU Health's Vision of Preeminence in Quality and Safety, People Excellence, Service Excellence, Excellence in Finance and Growth, and Excellence in Education and Research.
Leading to Preeminence Thank You Notes are recognitions for job performance, for consistently meeting job expectations, for going "above and beyond the call of duty" in performing job duties, or for being especially helpful to a coworker, patient, physician or guest.
Smarty Pants Awards acknowledge progress specifically related to academic goals and the pursuit of learning - education, training, personal growth, and overcoming barriers to learning and advancement.
Who can I contact for more information?
Contact Sherry Makely in Employee Education and Development for more information.