How We Can Help
Forensic Nursing Treatment Information
Our forensic nursing services include:
- Medical care. We look after your physical and emotional needs following trauma and connect you with resources for additional care and support. If you have been sexually assaulted, prevention of pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections may be part of your care.
- Alcohol use evaluation. We evaluate patients who are injured as a result of alcohol consumption.
- Evidence collection and documentation. We collect samples and document wounds and other trauma before evidence is lost to cleaning, treatment and healing. In order to help you feel safe and comfortable, we examine and talk with you in a quiet, private room. As part of the examination, we may photograph and measure any injuries that you have. We also have special training in handling clothing and other items in a way that preserves evidence.
- Legal testimony. Our forensic experts sometimes testify in court proceedings related to examinations.
- Civil protective orders. Our forensic nurses and social work team can assist you in filing for a civil protective order if you are in danger from a domestic violence situation.
Forensic Nursing Locations & Physicians
Use the search options below to find treatments available in your area.
Find a Specialist
Enter a Zip Code to find a specialist at IU Health.
Forensic Nursing Support Services
These websites provide information about forensic nursing and various types of trauma.
A Sampling of Forensic Nursing Support Services
Child Protection Program Services
The Riley Hospital for Children at Indiana University Health website outlines our services for children who may have been abused or neglected.
Child Welfare Information Gateway
This website, developed by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, offers resources on child abuse and neglect.
International Association of Forensic Nurses
This professional membership organization explains the field of forensic nursing.
National Coalition Against Domestic Violence
The website of this nonprofit group contains a wide variety of information and resources related to domestic violence.
Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network
This nonprofit organization operates a national hotline and carries out programs to stop sexual violence.
Feminist Majority Foundation
This website provides information and resources related to domestic violence.