How We Can Help
Alcohol-Induced Liver Diseases Treatment Information
When we treat alcohol-induced liver diseases, our goal is to restore your liver function and stop the disease progression. Our gastroenterologists and hepatologists are highly skilled in applying the latest research to the treatment of liver diseases:
- Diagnosis. Alcohol-induced liver diseases share common characteristics of other liver diseases, such as hepatitis. To properly treat your condition, your physician will conduct several tests to make the most accurate diagnosis. These tests include:
- Alcohol abstinence. To prevent further damage to your liver, you must stop drinking alcohol. Your physician can refer you to a substance abuse specialist who can help you refrain from using alcohol.
- Nutrition. You can prevent further liver damage by avoiding alcohol, taking vitamins and eating a healthy diet. Proper nutrition, avoidance of certain toxins (such as alcohol), vitamin supplementation and management of complications, such as hypertension (high blood pressure), can improve your condition.
- Liver transplant. If damage to your liver is so severe that it can no longer function, your physician may recommend a liver transplant. You must achieve at least six months of sobriety before your transplant. Our liver transplant program is one of the busiest in the nation with some of the shortest wait times.
- Research. You may qualify to take part in clinical trials for new medicines designed to treat symptoms of alcohol-induced liver disease and avoid the need for a transplant. Our association with the Indiana Alcohol Research Center and research programs at the IU School of Medicine let us give our patients access to the newest treatments available.
Alcohol-Induced Liver Diseases Locations & Physicians
Use the search options below to find treatments available in your area.
Find a Specialist
Enter a Zip Code to find a specialist at IU Health.
Alcohol-Induced Liver Diseases Support Services
Learn more about alcohol-induced liver disease treatments at these websites:
A Sampling of Alcohol-Induced Liver Diseases Support Services
Indiana Alcohol Research Center
This research center is dedicated to taking science from the bench to the bedside to reduce suffering related to alcohol use disorders.
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
Patients and families can access information on the signs, complications and treatments for liver conditions related to alcohol abuse, as well as support for alcohol abstinence.
American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
This nonprofit organization of scientists and health care professionals is committed to preventing and curing liver disease. The patient section of its website includes information and resources for alcohol-induced liver diseases and liver transplants.
American Liver Foundation
This foundation provides information on alcohol-induced liver disease and is focused on education, support and research for the prevention and treatment of liver diseases.