How We Can Help
Small Bowel Tumors Treatment Information
As pioneers in advanced gastrointestinal endoscopic procedures, we provide a multi-disciplinary approach to treating your small bowel tumors, managing symptoms and dealing with cancer if it is present.
- Double balloon enteroscopy. We use deep enteroscopy to examine hard-to-reach parts of your small intestine. The procedure allows your physician to perform many treatments during the exam. They include:
- Cauterize bleeding. If your small bowel tumors are causing ulcers, balloon enteroscopy allows your physician to cauterize (seal off) bleeding lesions.
- Biopsy. During a balloon enteroscopy, samples are taken from tissues, tumors and polyps for further study or cancer staging.
- Tumor removal. Your physician can resect (cut out) polyps and small tumors from the wall of your small intestine during an enteroscopy.
- Tattooing. If you will need surgery, your physician can mark an area of your small intestine for further investigation and to make it easier to locate.
- X-rays. While your physician is conducting the balloon enteroscopy procedure, he or she will take pictures of your small intestine to document any areas of concern.
- Surgery. Depending on the size of your small bowel tumor, you may need surgery to remove the tumor or bypass a section of your small intestine to restore function.
- Radiation therapy. Your physician may prescribe radiation therapy to stop and treat the type of cancer that caused your small bowel tumor.
- Chemotherapy. There are many different chemotherapy treatment used to fight cancer. Your physician works with you to determine the best therapy to tackle your specific type of small bowel tumor.
- Clinical studies. At IU Health, we maintain a database of all double balloon enteroscopy procedures we perform. We are studying the results to determine if and how we are making a difference for patients with small bowel tumors and other intestinal conditions.
Small Bowel Tumors Locations & Physicians
Use the search options below to find treatments available in your area.
Find a Specialist
Enter a Zip Code to find a specialist at IU Health.
Small Bowel Tumors Support Services
Learn more about small bowel tumors treatments at these websites:
A Sampling of Small Bowel Tumors Support Services
National Cancer Institute
This national website provides patient information on the diagnosis, causes and treatments for small bowel cancer.