History of IU Health Methodist Hospital

  • 1910 - First motorized ambulance in Indianapolis.
  • 1922 - First to test insulin on patients with diabetes.
  • 1942 - One of the nation's first electroencephalograph machines to diagnose brain tumors, epilepsy, other brain conditions and injuries installed.
  • 1970 - First to use a helicopter to rapidly transport patients from Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
  • 1972 - First Indiana hospital to perform kidney transplant.
  • 1977 - First in-hospital hospice in Indiana.
  • 1979 - LifeLine becomes official part of emergency care at Indiana University Health Methodist Hospital.
  • 1982 - First successful heart transplant at a private hospital anywhere in the world.
  • 1984 - First in the U.S. to use extracorporeal shock wave lithotripter to pulverize kidney stones.
  • 1987 - Implantation of first artificial heart in Indiana.
  • 1989 - First heart-lung transplant in Indiana.
  • 1990 - First in the Midwest to implant an insulin pump to treat insulin-dependent diabetes.
  • 1991 - First double-lung transplant in state.
  • 2002 - First in the state to perform minimally invasive surgery using the da Vinci robot.
  • 2004 - First robotic mitral-valve repair in Indiana.
  • 2005 - First Magnetic Navigation Surgery performed.
  • 2006 - First in the state to install a 3T-MRI scanner capable of more precise, accurate and faster scans for diagnosing trauma, tumors and neurological problems.
  • 2006 - First in the nation to perform a simultaneous lung and pancreas transplant.
  • 2007 - First and only hospital in Indiana to be ranked #1 in the country for quality and safety by University Health Consortium.
  • 2008 - First in Indiana and one of the first in the country to complete training of an Emergency Medicine Critical Care Fellow.
  • 2011 - Becomes Indiana University Health Methodist Hospital.