Teen Summer of Service Program
2014 Summer of Service
Thank you for your interest in the 2014 Summer of Service program for teen volunteers. Below is a summary of this year’s program.
Summer of Service Overview
- Application Deadline: Tuesday, April 1st 2014 by 4 p.m. Applications must be received by Volunteer Services.
- Program Dates: June 9th, 2014 (this may be adjusted based on school weather extentions) Participants are not required to volunteer July 3rd or 4th.
- Age Requirement: You must be 14 years old by June 9, 2014. If you are 19 years old, but will be entering your senior year of high school or freshman year of college you are still eligible.
Application and Forms
- Application: Application must be completed (PLEASE PRINT LEGIBLY) in blue or black ink, signed and dated, your application also must be signed by a parent or guardian.
- Reference Forms: One Reference form must be completed by a teacher at your current school. The other reference form may be completed by an individual who you are not related to and have known for longer than 6 months.
- Interview Session Sign Up Form: Sign up for an interview, all interview sessions will take place at Methodist Hospital.
The program is divided into two paths. Volunteers are able to select their program that they are interested in. Please note that each program has limited availability.
Summer of Service - Guide a Guest
At a Glance:
- Ages 14 to 18
- Perfect for a volunteer that needs flexibility
- 33 Hour Minimum Commitment
The Guide a Guest program is a self schedule volunteer opportunity that will be available from June 9th to August 10th. Volunteers are expected to sign up for a minimum of 11 shifts during this time; however they are able to sign up for more if they are available. Volunteers will be working closely with our information desks assisting our guests with navigating the hospitals. Other opportunities will also be posted for special projects and our Gift Shops. The ability to commit to the requirements of this program does not guarantee placement. These opportunities are only available at Methodist, University, Saxony, and Riley Hospitals.
Summer of Service - Hospital Exposure
At a Glance:
- Ages 16 to 18
- Volunteers in this program are required to commit to 6 weeks, 2 shifts per week, of consecutive availability of same day/same shift.
- Program Starts on June 9th and ends on July 18th – Volunteers are not required to volunteer on July 3rd or 4th.
- 40 Hour Minimum Commitment
This Program will offer volunteers who are 16 years old and older and who are able to commit to a consistent schedule. Volunteers will be placed by volunteer services in a variety of placements including: Patient Visitor Cart, Outpatient Clinic, Nursing Unit, Mail and Flower Delivery among other opportunities. The ability to commit to the requirements of this program does not guarantee placement.
Please download our application and submit by mail or drop-off to the address below.
Indiana University Health
1701 N. Senate Blvd. Room B215
Indianapolis, IN 46202
or drop-off the application in person at our IU Health Methodist, University or Riley locations at:
Methodist, 1st floor, Room B125
Riley, 4th floor, Room 4510
University, 1st floor, Room 1301C.