Mindfulness-Based Eating Awareness Workshops
- Children & Adolescents
- Older Adults
- Chemical Dependency
- Occupational Therapy
- Buchanan Counseling Center
- Charis Center for Eating Disorders
Awakening Inner Wisdom: Using Mindfulness Practice to Manage Eating and Weight
The Buchanan Counseling Center at IU Health will sponsor a 9-session Mindful Eating workshop starting September 10, 2013. Mindful eating has the power to transform people’s relationship to food and eating, to improve over-all health, body image, relationships and self-esteem. Mindful eating draws upon the use of mindfulness meditation, which helps focus our attention and awareness on the present moment, and in turn helps us disengage from habitual, unsatisfying and unhelpful habits and behaviors. The group is designed for people who struggle with overeating and/or binge eating. Participants may or may not have weight loss as a goal.
Participants will learn:
- How mindfulness cultivates freedom from habitual, reactive patterns of thinking, feeling and acting
- How mindful eating can promote the choosing of food that is pleasing and nourishing and uses all the senses to explore, savor and taste
- How mindful eating helps reduce unintentional eating
- Strategies for stimulating reflection around mealtime
- Ways of becoming aware of a spiritual/wisdom approach to food and self
Please call Delma Mindel at 317.962.6840 to schedule a free, half-hour orientation session if you are interested in participating, or to obtain more information. The group will run for 10 Tuesdays, 4pm - 6pm in Wile Hall, 1812 N. Capitol, Indianapolis, Indiana.
Please fill out the Awakening Inner Wisdom questionnaire completey before your scheduled orientation session. (Pressing the "send" button will insure it arrives in Ms. Mindel's email box.)
Cost: $375.00 for 10 sessions, covered by most insurance companies. Cost for IU Health employees: $275. Scholarships are available for income-qualified, highly motivated, and determined participants. A payment plan can be arranged on a weekly or bi-monthly basis.