- Our Team
- For Patients
- For Physicians
- Organ Donors
- Financial Donors
- Make a Referral
- Contact Cardiothoracic Transplant
Our tradition of providing high-level care starts with our dedicated full-time physicians focused on the unique needs of these complex patients, the most technologically advanced facilities and a team approach toward patient care, including a strong partnership with our referring physicians. As a state and regional referral resource for the most complex, advanced heart and lung disease problems, we performed the first private hospital cardiac transplant in the world, we were the first to invent and develop an implantable cardioverter and we are the only program in Indiana approved by Medicare to perform lung and heart-lung transplantation.
IU Health Cardiothoracic Transplant offers more advantages, including:
- A nearly 30-year track record of cardiothoracic transplant specialists caring for patients at IU Health Methodist Hospital and Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health. As a “heart hospital” within a full-service tertiary/quaternary facility, we give patients with advanced heart and lung disease immediate access to all specialties and treatments.
- IU Health LifeLine, the state’s longest-running, largest emergency aeromedical transport system, ensuring that patients across the state are transported in the shortest time to the facility best suited for their emergency needs—one of our two Level I Trauma Centers.
- An Advanced Heart Care Program on the forefront of clinical advancement in heart failure care, heart transplant and VAD services. The program incorporates both inpatient and outpatient services that span the continuum of care for patients with advanced or recurrent heart failure, including collaboration between pharmacists, psychologists, nurses, social workers, cardiologists and surgeons.
- A comprehensive lifetime care program to meet the ongoing medical needs of adults living with congenital heart disease. Our Adult Congenital Heart Disease (ACHD) Program is the only program in Indiana recognized by the Adult Congenital Heart Association and offers access to complex diagnostic cardiac catheterization and trans-catheter interventions, as well as the latest technologies in valve replacement and defect closure devices.
Blue Distinction Center Designation
In 2012 Indiana University Health Methodist Hospital was designated as a Blue Distinction Center by Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in the area of transplants for adult heart. Blue Distinction Centers for Transplants have demonstrated their commitment to quality care, resulting in better overall outcomes for transplant patients. Blue Cross Blue Shield Association (BCBSA) awards Blue Distinction® recognition to facilities which meet objective, evidence-based thresholds for clinical quality in collaboration with expert physicians and medical organizations.