Methodist Research Institute
- CLINICAL RESEARCH GROUP
- MEDICAL RESEARCH LABORATORY
- BIOSTATISTICS & DATA SERVICES
- BIOMEDICAL COMMUNICATION
- INDIANA CENTER FOR BIOMEDICAL INNOVATION
- Institutional Biosafety Committee
- Medical Library
Daniel Sliva, PhD
Current Contact Information:
DSTest Laboratories, LLC
Purdue Research Park
5225 Exploration Drive, Suite 1127
Indianapolis, IN 46241
- Cheng S, Castillo V, Eliaz I, Sliva D. Honokiol suppresses metastasis of renal cell carcinoma by targeting KISS1/KISS1R signaling. Int J Oncol. Apr 2 2015. Link
- Cheng S, Sliva D. Ganoderma lucidum for Cancer Treatment: We Are Close but Still Not There. Integr Cancer Ther. May 2015;14(3):249-257. Link
- Loganathan J, Jiang J, Smith A, Jedinak A, Thyagarajan-Sahu A, Sandusky G E, Nakshatri H, Sliva D. The mushroom Ganoderma lucidum suppresses breast-to-lung cancer metastasis through the inhibition of pro-invasive genes. Int J Oncol. 2014 Jun;44(6):2009-15. Link
- Cheng S, Eliaz I, Lin J, Sliva D. Triterpenes from Poria cocos suppress growth and invasiveness of pancreatic cancer cells through the downregulation of MMP-7. Int J Oncol. Jun 2013;42(6):1869-1874. Link
- Schwartz B, Yitzhak H, Sliva D. The use of edible mushroom water soluble polysaccharides in the treatment and prevention of chronic diseases: a mechanistic approach. In: Fang EF, Ng TB, eds. Antitumor Potential and Emerging Medicinal Properties of Natural Compounds. New York: Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht; 2013:263-283.
- Jiang J, Eliaz I, Sliva D. Synergistic and additive effects of modified citrus pectin with two polybotanical compounds, in the suppression of invasive behavior of human breast and prostate cancer cells. Integr Cancer Ther. 2013;12(2):145-52. Link
- Sliva D, Loganathan J, Jiang J, Jedinak A, Lamb JG, Terry C, Baldridge LA, Adamec J, Sandusky GE, Dudhgaonkar S. Mushroom Ganoderma lucidum prevents colitis-associated carcinogenesis in mice. PloS ONE.
2012; 7(10): e47873.
- Jiang J, Thyagarajan-Sahu A, Loganathan J, Eliaz I, Terry C, Sandusky GE, Sliva D. BreastDefend prevents breast-to-lung cancer metastases in an orthotopic animal model of triple-negative human breast cancer. Oncol Rep. Oct 2012;28(4):1139-1145. Link
- Jiang J, Thyagarajan-Sahu A, Krchňák V, Jedinak A, Sandusky GE, Sliva D. NAHA, a Novel Hydroxamic Acid-Derivative, Inhibits Growth and Angiogenesis of Breast Cancer In Vitro and In Vivo. PLoS ONE. 2012;7(3): e34283. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0034283. Link
- Jiang J, Slivova V, Jedinak A, Sliva D. Gossypol inhibits growth, invasiveness, and angiogenesis in human prostate cancer cells by modulating NF-kappaB/AP-1 dependent- and independent-signaling. Clin Exp Metastasis. Feb 2012;29(2):165-178. Link
Dr. Sliva earned an MSc in food and biochemical technology from the University of Chemical Technology in Praque, Czechoslovakia. He continued his study at Charles University in Prague, receiving an MSc in biochemistry and a PhD in molecular biology and genetics. He received post-doctoral training at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden; and the Walther Oncology Center at the Indiana University School of Medicine in Indianapolis.
Dr. Sliva's research interest includes the evaluation and characterization of biological compounds and dietary products that can be used as natural agents for the prevention or treatment of cancer. He has recently demonstrated that some Asian medicinal mushrooms (Ganoderma lucidum, Phellinus linteus) or edible American oyster mushroom (Pleurotus ostreatus) suppressed growth and invasive behavior by the modulation of specific signaling pathways in breast and colon cancer cells. His laboratory at the Methodist Research Institute developed an animal model of the food-borne carcinogen- and inflammation- induced colon carcinogenesis and has demonstrated that an oral application of G. lucidum and oyster mushroom suppresses colon inflammation and colon carcinogenesis in mice.
Dr. Sliva founded DSTest Labratories to help manufacturers of natural ingredients, nutraceuticals, and dietary supplements to produce and certify the nutritional value of their high-quality products.
Dr. Sliva’s Curriculum Vitae