- Methodist Research Institute
- BASIC SCIENCE RESEARCH
- CLINICAL RESEARCH GROUP
- MEDICAL RESEARCH LABORATORY
- BIOSTATISTICS & DATA SERVICES
- BIOMEDICAL COMMUNICATION
- Medical Library
Rafat A. Siddiqui
Dr. Siddiqui was born on December 1, 1960 in Karachi, Pakistan where he received his early school education. Dr. Siddiqui earned his B.Sc. (1978), M.Sc. (1980) degrees in Biochemistry from the University of Karachi, Karachi, Pakistan. Dr. Siddiqui was accepted as a candidate for PhD studies by University of Oxford, UK, University of Calgary, Canada and University of North Carolina, USA, but he decided to accept a prestigious scholarship from the Australian National University, Canberra, Australia where he obtained his PhD in 1988. During his PhD he investigated the metabolic basis of cancer cachexia under the supervision of Professor John F. Williams, who is famous for his research on the pentose phosphate pathway. He served as a postdoctoral fellow (1987-1989) in Dr. Stuart McCutcheons (Currently Vice Chancellor Auckland University, New Zealand) laboratory at Massey University, Palmerton North, New Zealand.
Dr. Siddiqui immigrated to America in 1989 on an invitation from Dr. John Exton on a Howard Hughes fellowship at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Vanderbilt University, Nashville. Dr. Siddiqui Started his research work in the Bone Marrow Transplant Research Laboratory at Methodist Hospital in 1993. He established his independent research laboratory in 1999 and at present he is a Senior Investigator and Director of the Cellular Biochemistry Research Laboratory at the Methodist Research Institute. Dr. Siddiqui also has adjunct appointments in the Department of Biology, Indiana University-Purdue University, and Department of Medicine, Indiana University Medical School, Indianapolis.
Dr. Siddiqui's research interests are in the area of cancer, inflammation and cardiovascular diseases. His research emphasis is on modulation of diseases by dietary fatty acids such as omega-3, omega-6 omega-9 and trans fatty acids. Dr. Siddiqui has received funding from National Cancer Center (NIH), American Heart Association, Showalter Foundation, Abbott Pharmaceuticals, and Baxter Nutrition.
Awards and Distinctions
- First Class First Position Gold Medals (B.Sc., 1978; M.Sc., 1980) by the University of Karachi, Karachi, Pakistan
- The S.M. TAQI Gold Medal for the Best Student in the College for the year 1978 by Student's Union, Govt. Islamia Science College, Karachi, Pakistan.
- The Australian National University Scholarship (1983-1988) for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Biochemistry.
- The American Heart Association's T. A. Kleckner award (1999)
Memberships in Professional Societies
- International Society for the Study of Fatty acids and Lipids (ISSFAL)
- American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB)
- American Heart Association (AHA)
- American Society of Leukocyte Biology (ASLB)
- American Association for Cancer Research (AACR)
- American Society of Cell Biology (ASCB)
- Indiana Center of Vascular Biology and Medicine (ICVBM)
- Indiana Academy of Science
- Indiana University Simon Cancer Center.
- Indiana Chapter of Susan G. Koman Breast Cancer Foundation
- Journal of Molecular and Genetic Medicine
- Library Publishing Media, University of Oxford, Oxford OX13QU, England
- Research Journal of Cardiolog: ANSI, Academic Journals, New York, USA
- Biotechnolog: ANSI, Academic Journals, New York, USA
- Asian Journal Biochemistry: ANSI, Academic Journals, New York, USA
- Asian J Cell Biology: ANSI, Academic Journals, New York, USA
Member M.S/Ph.D thesis committees
- Shala Zafar (MPhil, 1993-1996): University of Karachi, Pakistan
- Margaret Reeves (M.S, 1994-1996): IUPUI, Indianapolis, USA
- Zareen Amtul (PhD, 1996-2001): University of Karachi, Pakistan
- Denis Slayback (M.S, 1998-2001): IUPUI, Indianapolis, USA
- Raz Sheikh, (PhD, 2001-2004): IUPUI, Indianapolis, USA
- Kim Jackson (M.S, 2003-2004): IUPUI, Indianapolis, USA
- Jennifer Bush (PhD, 2004-2008), IUPUI, Indianapolis, USA
Methodist Research Institute
Indiana University Health
1800 N. Capitol Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46202