At Indiana University Health Hospice, we care for any person with a life-limiting illness and a life expectancy of six months or less. Patients are referred through a variety of resources, including physician recommendation. Working with your doctor, we offer:
- Hospice care provided by a specially trained interdisciplinary team. Care includes nursing visits, respite care, pharmaceutical services, medical social work, spiritual care and counseling services
- Ongoing coordination with your physician
- Symptom management and pain control available by an Advanced Practice Nurse certified in pain management
- 24-hour on-call support and service
- Family support and education
- Inpatient hospital care for emergencies
- Trained volunteer assistance for patients and caregivers
- Bereavement program and family grief support
- Support groups and seminars
- Resource lists of books and other references
- Availability of privately paid residential hospice
- Alzheimer's disease certified staff for decision making, pain and symptom management and caregiver support
IU Health Hospice also includes institutional board-reviewed clinical research regarding end-of-life care. Our dedication to research helps advance hospice care knowledge and procedures.
Complementary and Alternative Services
When medical care cannot offer a cure, the IU Health Hospice team makes patients comfortable and relieves their symptoms and pain. Our complementary and alternative services help improve the quality of life for hospice patients:
- Music therapy- Live, acoustic and therapeutic music is provided at the bedside by certified music practitioners.
- Massage therapy - Therapeutic touch assists in pain management and symptom relief.
- Energy therapy (Reiki) - An ancient healing touch therapy, energy therapy helps restore the balance of the body's physical, mental and emotional levels.
- Art therapy - Using the creative process, art therapy helps improve and enhance physical, mental and emotional well-being.
- Pet therapy - Research shows that patients who have regular visits from pets are more receptive to medical treatment and nourishment.
For more information about hospice care focused on patient comfort, symptom/ pain relief and quality of life, please contact IU Health Hospice at 866.272.5083.