Request an Appointment Find a Doctor
At Indiana University Health, we provide comprehensive treatment for traumatically injured patients. From experienced staff on Indiana University Health LifeLine transport vehicles to highly skilled trauma surgeons, IU Health has the expertise needed to deliver advanced trauma care 24 hours a day.
We provide high-quality care through every stage of traumatic injury. Our rehabilitation staff assists patients with recovering abilities such as speaking and walking. Because traumatic injuries have a large impact on psychological well-being, our chaplains and social workers also provide personalized care to each patient.
Our multidisciplinary team of specially trained orthopedic, neuroscience, critical care, plastic surgery and general surgery physicians ensure patients receive treatment as quickly as possible. From the latest treatments to innovative research, our trauma team provides you access to the care you need to experience long-term healing.
Our Indiana University Health Methodist Trauma team is comprised of dedicated physicians, nurses, technicians, therapists and staff who quickly and expertly evaluate and treat patients. Nationally recognized for our expertise, our physicians are available 24 hours a day for trauma, emergency general surgery and surgical critical care services. Our team responds immediately––we are where you need us, when you need us most.
As a Level I Trauma Center we provide:
- A dedicated trauma surgeon on duty in the trauma center 24 hours a day
- Neurosurgical and orthopedic surgeons attending in-house 24 hours a day
- Critical care attending in-house 24 hours a day
- A full spectrum of surgical specialists—orthopedic, neurosurgery, cardiovascular, thoracic, hand, microvascular, plastic, obstetric and gynecologic, ophthalmology, otolaryngology and urology—on call 24 hours a day
- A surgical director with added certification in surgical critical care from the American Board of Surgery and expertise in perioperative and post-injury care of injured patients
- A complete staff of medical specialists in cardiology, infectious disease, pulmonary medicine and nephrology, along with their respective support teams, such as respiratory therapists and dialysis team
- A respiratory therapist available to care for trauma patients 24 hours a day
- In house radiographer and CT technologist
- Physical and occupational therapists and rehabilitation specialists
- Acute care nurse practitioners
- Trauma/critical care pharmacy
In addition to our Level I Trauma services, patients all across Indiana have direct access to the most advanced trauma care through IU Health LifeLine. Using the latest in air medical helicopters and mobile intensive care units in the industry, our specialized team of emergency medical specialists provides immediate care to critically injured patients and seamless collaboration between in-flight care and hospital care.
As Indiana’s largest Level I Trauma Center, we promise our patients:
- The nation’s largest neurocritical care unit for acute brain and spinal injuries
- Continuous physician coverage in the emergency department and intensive care units for critically ill patients
- Specialized monitoring equipment, including intracranial pressure monitoring
- Conventional catheter angiography and sonography available 24 hours a day
- Cardiopulmonary bypass and an operating microscope available 24 hours a day
- MRI capability 24 hours a day
- A complete team of individuals dedicated only to the operating room, in the hospital at all times
- Anesthesia services available in-house, 24 hours a day
- Plastic surgery, hand surgery and spinal injury care capabilities
- Rehabilitation consultation services, occupational therapy, speech therapy, physical therapy, and social services available during the acute phase of care
- Laboratory services are available 24 hours a day
- A fully supplied blood bank and the capability for coagulation studies, blood gases and microbiology available 24 hours a day
IU Health Methodist Trauma Center offers the same high level of care to pediatric trauma patients with life-threatening injuries. We work closely with the state’s only verified Level I Pediatric Trauma Center at Riley Hospital for Children at Indiana University Health.
Orthopedic trauma specialists at IU Health Methodist Hospital have proven experience treating a continuum of trauma cases—from common injuries to the most complex trauma cases. Our trauma physicians work closely with other specialty physicians, as needed, to develop a tailored and comprehensive care plan for patients with traumatic injuries. Our specialists are fellowship trained in orthopedic trauma and provide expert care for adults and children with acute injuries or complications.
Acute orthopedic injuries include:
- Difficult fractures of the upper and lower extremities, including open and complex periarticular injuries
- Complex fractures in the joints (periarticular injuries)
- Severe open fractures
- Multiple injuries
- Pelvic and acetabular (hip) fractures
- Geriatric or fragility fractures
- Extremity injuries requiring hyperbaric oxygen
Complications and chronic orthopedic conditions include:
- Non-unions (fractures that did not heal)
- Mal-unions (fractures that healed in poor position)
- Infections and osteomyelitis (bone infection)
- Arthritis after fracture
- Leg length discrepancy
Our physicians provide both surgical and non-surgical treatment options. Conservative treatment may include casts, splints or braces.
Surgery may be required for more complicated situations such as limb lengthening or shortening and alignment. Our highly trained physicians also have extensive experience placing screws and plates to treat fractures and other musculoskeletal injuries.
Physicians can access IU Health 24/7 Transfer Center to transfer patients from any facility to any IU Health hospital for inpatient services, or call our Transfer Center directly at 877.247.1177.