How We Can Help
Double Vision Treatment Information
Treatments for double vision may include:
- Mechanical alignment. When the eyes do not align properly, double vision may occur. In less severe cases, the condition is not bothersome and nothing needs to be done. If double vision when looking straight forward interferes with your ability to function, your physician may try different approaches:
- Eye patch. Using an eye patch over one eye or tape over one eyeglass lens treats the double vision symptomatically, but does not resolve the condition.
- Eyeglass prisms. Our adult strabismus experts can place prisms within your eyeglasses to treat constant image misalignment.
- Disease management. If vision loss or double vision is the result of an existing condition, treatments to manage that disease and prevent further damage can also be performed. Conditions that may impact the visual centers of the brain or optic nerves include:
- Vision rehabilitation. Our specialists teach you how to best use the vision you have and work with you to find assistive devices that maximize your remaining vision.
- Surgery. In some cases, surgery is required to repair muscle and nerve problems. Surgical procedures used to treat double vision include:
- Eye muscle surgery. These procedures correct eye alignment.
- Tumor removal or aneurysm treatment. Tumor resection or treatment of an aneurysm can relieve pressure on cranial nerves.
- Decompression surgery. Performed by an oculoplastic, plastic or ENT surgeon, this procedure removes pieces of bone around the eye to relieve pressure from severe inflammation in the orbit (eye socket) that may cause double vision.
- Anti-inflammatory medicines. Useful for less common causes of double vision, these medicines reduce the inflammation of the nerves and tissues around the eye. They include steroids and medications that suppress the immune system (immunosuppressants).
- Immunosuppressive medicines. If double vision is caused by conditions such as ocular myasthenia gravis or thyroid eye disease, medicines that modify the body’s immune response can be helpful.
Double Vision Locations & Physicians
Use the search options below to find treatments available in your area.
Find a Specialist
Enter a Zip Code to find a specialist at IU Health.
Double Vision Support Services
A Sampling of Double Vision Support Services
The Merck Manuals
This resource provides information about symptoms, diagnosis and treatments for double vision.
This website from Optometrists Network offers extensive articles about double vision, its causes and treatment options.