The Liver Reduction Diet can be a struggle as you first begin your journey. Some people are confused, some have struggles with food choices, and some are completely overwhelmed! Let’s take a minute to dive in a little bit deeper and find some solutions for the most common questions!
First, why does IU Health Bariatric & Medical Weight Loss recommend the Liver Reduction Diet?
- By following a low carbohydrate diet, you will reduce the size of your liver, which will make the surgery much easier!
- A low carbohydrate diet can lead to a quick weight loss, and it is important for you to lose weight before your surgery.
- When you eat more carbs, you crave more carbs. This is a great way to get carbohydrates out of your system and you’ll find you are more full and satisfied and have less cravings.
- The Liver Reduction Diet is based on protein. Protein is a key part of your diet post operatively!
Here are a few questions we often receive:
1. Where do I find recipes that fit in my diet?
There are many ways to find recipes that fit. A couple sites we like are
www.allrecipes.com, www.cookinglight.com and www.eatingwell.com. These are not bariatric sites. You can search for low carbohydrate recipes.
IU Health sends out weekly recipes. Email Sarah Muntel at email@example.com to be put on our list. IU Health also has cooking classes monthly. Our next class is March 20th at 6 pm. Again, RSVP to Sarah if you are interested in attending.
2. What do I use in place of pasta and bread?
This can take some creativity, but can work so well!
- Wrap your sandwiches in a piece of lettuce instead of break. These are called unwiches at Jimmy Johns.
- Bake spaghetti squash in the oven (350 degrees for 30 minutes) and string up like spaghetti. Top with sauce.
- Make cauliflower mashed potatoes! They taste great. Boil cauliflower, mash and add milk and Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter.
3. How do I give up soda?
Soda is hard, but it is a must for after surgery. Carbonation doesn’t work in a very small stomach pouch! The more changes you make now, the easier it is after surgery. Try new drinks. Popular items include: Crystal Light, Diet V8 Splas, Sobe Life Water, Powerade Zero. Find something you like and it will be easier!
Let us know if you have any other questions, contact a dietitian at IU Health Bariatric & Medical Weight Loss 317.275.6067. We look forward to working with you during your life changing experience!