Summer can be jam-packed with outdoor activities like swimming pools, baseball games, concerts and festivals. Attending summer events should be an enjoyable time for everyone, but with all of these events come concession stands and temptation to eat unhealthy.
It’s easy to reach for the nachos and large soda when you’re busy having a good time. To ensure that you make the most of your summer, being smart about your food choices is key. Use this guide to help avoid high-calorie snacks and substitute a healthier alternative!
If you want to avoid the concession stand altogether, another option is to check with the venue to see if bringing in your own food is allowed. By bringing in your choice of food, you will have more control over what you consume and more variety in meal options. Although there are endless healthy food options to choose from, here are a few items to consider when packing food.
- Sandwiches: pre-make with fresh turkey meat on whole wheat bread
- Vegetables: broccoli, carrot sticks and lettuce and tomato slices (for sandwiches)
- Fruit: apples, diced watermelon, strawberries, blueberries or peaches
- Beverages: bottled water, homemade lemonade or iced tea
- Desserts & Snacks: frozen fruit bars or frozen yogurt (if you have a cooler) or trail mix with nuts and dried fruits
Keep all of these tips in mind when making food choices for you and your family this summer! To learn more about your nutritional needs, be sure to check out our Facts about Fitness & Nutrition!