Cardiac Program Earns 4th Consecutive Blue Distinction Award
An IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital Release
— MUNCIE – Indiana University Health Ball Memorial Hospital has received a fourth consecutive Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association (BCBSA) Blue Distinction® Center for Cardiac Care. BCBSA awards Blue Distinction® recognition to facilities which meet objective, evidence-based thresholds for clinical quality in collaboration with expert physicians and medical organizations. IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital previously received the two-year Blue Distinction® certification in 2009.
As a Blue Distinction® Center for Cardiac Care, IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital achieved the following established BCBSA criteria of an established cardiac care program:
• Performance of 125 or more cardiac surgical procedures (including coronary artery bypass graft surgery [CABG] and/or valve surgery) annually
• Appropriate experience of its cardiac team, including sub-specialty board certification for interventional cardiologists and cardiac surgeons
• Offering an established acute care inpatient facility, including intensive care, emergency and a full range of cardiac services
• Full facility accreditation by a CMS-deemed national accreditation organization
• Low overall complication and mortality rates and a comprehensive quality management program
“Blue Distinction® facilities are recognized by consumers needing to identify consistent delivery of outstanding specialty care, and IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital is proud to be recipient of this designation once again,” said Claire Lee, administrative director, Quality and Safety, IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital.