IU Health Tipton Hospital Free Skin Cancer Screening
An IU Health Tipton Hospital Release
—Indiana University Health Tipton Hospital Cancer Services is sponsoring a Free Skin Cancer Screening on Monday, May 23, 2016, in the Medical Office Building North entrance 4 of the hospital. To sign up for this important screening, you may call the Cancer Service Department at 317.675.8397 for an appointment. Your name and phone will be requested. Please call and cancel if you cannot keep this appointment.
Nearly all skin cancers are preventable by limiting unprotected exposure to the sun. Most skin cancers can be treated successfully if detected early, even melanoma, the most serious type of skin cancer.
Key warnings of non-melanoma skin cancers are: a new growth, a spot that is getting larger, or a sore place that does not heal within three months; any changes on the skin, especially in the size or color of a mole or other darkly pigmented growth or spot; flaking, oozing, bleeding, or change in the appearance of a bump or a nodule; the spread of pigmentation beyond its border; and a change in sensation, itchiness, tenderness, or pain.
Remember the ABCD rule for warning signals of melanoma:
A = asymmetry: one half of the mole does not match the other half
B = border is irregular: the edges are ragged, notched, or blurred
C = color: the pigmentation is not uniform, with variable degrees of tan, brown, or black
D = diameter is greater than 6 millimeters. Any sudden or progressive increase in size should be of concern.
Prevention and Early Detection of Skin Cancer by:
- limit or avoid exposure to the sun during midday (10 am – 4 pm)
- wear a hat that shades the face, neck, and ears, and a long sleeved shirt and long pants. Wear sunglasses to protect the skin around the eyes
- use a sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 15 or higher
- childhood sunburns may greatly increase risk of melanoma in later life, children in particular should be protected from the sun.
- perform a head to toe self examination of your skin periodically and report to your physician any areas described as above or any unusual changes of the skin changes.
Free Skin Cancer Screening
IU Health Tipton Hospital
Medical Office Building North, entrance 4
Monday, May 23, 2016
3:00 PM to 4:00 PM (appointments required)
Plan to attend the Free Skin Cancer Screening Program. Participation is limited so call today 765.675.8397 between the hours of 8 am and 4 pm. PLEASE leave your name and telephone number where you would like to be reached.