U.S. News Names Riley Hospital One of Nation’s Best
A Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health Release
INDIANAPOLIS – U.S. News & World Report is out with its annual Best Children’s Hospitals rankings and Riley Hospital for Children at Indiana University Health has again ranked in 10 out of 10 specialties nationally and is the only facility ranked in the state of Indiana.
“We’ve long known that we have the most dedicated and skilled physicians and nurses on our team. Rankings like this are confirmation from our colleagues in children’s healthcare around the country of the extraordinary care that our team provides for our children and their families,” said Dr. Jeff Sperring, president and chief executive officer, Riley at IU Health. “It’s a privilege to be entrusted with the care of so many children who need us and we never take that for granted.”
Riley at IU Health ranks in 2012-13 Best Children’s Hospitals as follows:
- Urology – 3rd
- Pulmonology – 10th
- Neurology & Neurosurgery – 14th
- Nephrology – 18th
- Cardiology & Heart Surgery – 19th
- Orthopedics – 20th
- Diabetes & Endocrinology – 21st
- Gastroenterology – 22nd
- Cancer – 28th
- Neonatology – 32nd
The rankings are the most extensive listing of their kind and feature 50 children’s hospitals in 10 pediatric specialties: cancer, cardiology and heart surgery, diabetes and endocrinology, gastroenterology, neonatology, nephrology, neurology and neurosurgery, orthopedics, pulmonology, and urology.
“When a child is sick or injured, parents want the best possible care, the most highly-skilled physicians and access to the latest, most innovative treatments. We’re proud to be a leader in pediatric care and serve the children of Indiana, and the nation,” said Daniel F. Evans, Jr., president and CEO, Indiana University Health. “We’re pleased to earn this distinction because we’re passionate about what we do and it’s an honor to be recognized nationally by our peers.”
This year, U.S. News surveyed 178 pediatric centers to obtain hard data such as availability of key resources and ability to prevent complications and infections. The hospital survey made up 75 percent of the rankings. The remaining 25 percent came from a separate reputational survey in which 1,500 pediatric specialists—150 in each specialty—were asked where they would send the sickest children in their specialty.
The rankings are available online and will be published in the U.S. News Best Hospitals 2013 guidebook, available on newsstands Aug. 28.
For interviews or more information, call Kit Werbe at 317.963.7692.
About Riley Hospital for Children at Indiana University Health For more than 85 years, Riley at IU Health has been one of the nation’s leading children’s hospitals. Each year, Riley at IU Health provides compassionate care, support and comfort to 215,000 inpatients and outpatients from across Indiana, the nation and the world. Part of Indiana University Health, our unique partnership with the Indiana University School of Medicine gives our highly skilled physicians access to innovative treatments using the latest research and technology.