VNA Services offers flu vaccinations
An IU Health Starke Hospital Release
Seasonal influenza vaccines offered in Michigan City, Hamlet
Indiana University Health La Porte VNA Services offers discounted flu vaccinations to the public this fall in both La Porte and Starke counties.
Running now until early winter as supplies last, vaccinations to protect against seasonal influenza and pneumonia are available to all those interested, ages 9 and older, at two clinic located at:
- 901 S. Woodland Ave. in Michigan City on Monday through Friday from 9 am to 3 pm (Central time). No appointments are needed; walk-ins are accepted.
- 6955 E. 600 N. in Hamlet by appointment only. Call 800.822.5378 to schedule.
The VNA also offers high-dose vaccinations for those ages 65 and older for $45, which are also covered by Medicare Part B.
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC):
- A yearly flu vaccine for everyone 6 months of age and older is the first and most important step in protecting against this serious disease.
- Children younger than 6 months are at high risk of serious illness, but are too young for the vaccine. People who care for them should be vaccinated instead.
- People at high risk of serious flu complications include young children, pregnant women, people with chronic health conditions like asthma, diabetes or heart and lung disease and people ages 65 and older. Vaccination is also important for healthcare workers, and other people who live with or care for high-risk people.
- The flu vaccine is designed to protect against the three main flu strains that research indicates will cause the most illness during this flu season.
The seasonal influenza vaccination costs $25; pneumonia vaccination costs $75. In order to offer this service at a discount to the community, IU Health La Porte VNA Services accepts cash, check or Medicare assignment, and does not bill private insurance. Patients are responsible for payment in full.
IU Health La Porte and Starke hospitals recommend getting vaccinated, practicing good hand hygiene, coughing or sneezing into your sleeve or elbow and not your hand, and avoiding going in public when ill to prevent all cases of the flu.
For more information, call IU Health La Porte VNA Services at 800.822.5378.