How We Can Help
Cardiology & Heart Surgery Treatment Information
- Diagnostic testing. To evaluate heart problems, our pediatric cardiologists use tools such as electrocardiogram (EKG), ambulatory EKG, echocardiogram, exercise testing, electrophysiologic testing, radiofrequency ablation and diagnostic and interventional heart catheterization.
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. We use this procedure to provide oxygen support in certain life-threatening situations to patients whose heart and lungs are damaged.
- Heart transplant. IU Health is a leader in heart transplantation for children and operates one of only a few infant heart transplantation programs in the Midwest.
- Surgery. Our pediatric cardiac surgeons perform a wide range of traditional “open” and minimally invasive “closed” operations to treat problems such as congenital defects, heart tumors and faulty valves.
- Ventricular assist device (VAD). This type of mechanical pump can allow for ventricular muscle recovery or can serve as a bridge to transplant.
Cardiology & Heart Surgery Locations & Physicians
Use the search options below to find treatments available in your area.
Find a Specialist
Enter a Zip Code to find a specialist at IU Health.
Cardiology & Heart Surgery Support Services
Several national organizations provide information on the diagnosis and treatment of heart conditions in children. The following sites can help patients and families to understand pediatric heart problems, evaluate treatment options and find support in their communities.
A Sampling of Cardiology & Heart Surgery Support Services
American Heart Association
This national nonprofit group focuses on public health education and provides detailed information on cardiovascular conditions of childhood.
Children’s Heart Foundation
This nonprofit group helps to fund medical research and provides family-directed information on children and heart disease.
Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions
This professional society for cardiologists maintains a collection of information on various heart conditions, including those that affect children.