How We Can Help
Neonatology Treatment Information
The neonatologists of IU Health work with your family to determine the right care for your newborn. Our team coordinates with other subspecialty pediatric physicians to arrange comprehensive care during and after your child’s time in the hospital.
Our NICU services include:
- Advanced Mobile ICU Transport Units. These units enable us to transfer premature infants from anywhere in Indiana and surrounding states.
- Surgery. In many cases, surgeons can correct heart defects and other problems before your newborn leaves the hospital.
- Neonatal extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. This procedure circulates the child’s blood through an artificial lung, serving as heart-lung bypass support while the newborn’s organs heal or while doctors perform other treatment.
- Total body cooling. The technique may help to protect the newborn’s brain after periods of too little blood or oxygen.
- Advanced mechanical ventilation modalities. This type of help with breathing can be life-saving for newborns with undeveloped lungs.
Neonatology Locations & Physicians
Use the search options below to find treatments available in your area.
Find a Specialist
Enter a Zip Code to find a specialist at IU Health.
Neonatology Support Services
Several national organizations provide families with information and resources on care for premature and critically ill newborns.
A Sampling of Neonatology Support Services
The American Academy of Pediatrics outlines the health problems that can occur and the treatments that are available when babies are born prematurely.
March of Dimes
This nonprofit organization offers information on caring for premature babies.