About the Proton Therapy Center Team
Welcome to the Indiana University Health Proton Therapy Center. We are pleased that you found us and are interested in learning more about proton therapy.
It is the mission of the Indiana University Health Proton Therapy Center to leverage our unique technology to improve our patients' health and promote innovation in education and research.
The IU Health Proton Therapy Center will be a preeminent global leader in proton therapy and scientific investigation.
Our Values and Guiding Principles
Always provide patients with the best possible professional and compassionate care.
Ensure that patients and family are educated on all aspects of treatment.
Treat patients with personal dignity and respect their cultural, psychosocial and spiritual values, recognizing we are only here for them.
Establish and maintain a work environment that values each employee, offers opportunities for personal and professional growth, and fosters teamwork.
Conduct our organization in a completely ethical and transparent manner, fully accountable to all of our stakeholders.
IU Health Proton Therapy Center
Proton beam therapy is a unique treatment that has proved to be as effective as–and in some cases more effective than–other forms of cancer treatment. It is a highly precise, noninvasive nonsurgical procedure. This form of radiation therapy targets the tumor and causes minimal damage to surrounding tissues as compared to conventional radiation therapy. The results are highly effective, and the side effects are generally minimal or nonexistent. This combination of effectiveness and reduced side effects has led thousands of people worldwide to choose proton therapy instead of surgery or other forms of radiation therapy.
As you research proton therapy to determine if it is a treatment option for you, a loved one or a patient, consider the following:
- The IU Health Proton Therapy Center is one of only 11 proton therapy centers in operation in the United States and is the first proton facility in the Midwest.
- Our treatment staff consists of board certified radiation oncologist, licensed nurses, licensed radiation therapists and a credentialed medical physics staff.
- We are known worldwide for treating some of the most complex and sometimes very rare tumors in children and adults. Many of these cases involve conditions of the head, neck, spine, brain, and base of skull. In addition to these very complex conditions, we also treat prostate cancer.
- We are an affiliate program of the IU Health Melvin and Bren Simon Cancer, Indiana’s only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center that provides patient care, and Indiana University Health (formerly Clarian Health), which has been ranked among America’s top hospitals by U.S.News & World Report for 14 consecutive years.
- The IU Health Proton Therapy Center is the only U.S. proton therapy center associated with a university-based proton therapy technology research group via Indiana University Cyclotron Operations, which conducts research in nuclear physics, nuclear chemistry, accelerator physics, condensed matter and the life sciences.
- The IU Health Proton Therapy Center pediatric program is affiliated with Riley Hospital for Children at Indiana University Health, which is ranked among the top children's hospitals by U.S.News & World Report.
- The IU Health Proton Therapy Center is the only proton therapy center in the United States that employs a technologically advanced uniform-scanning beam for dose delivery to reduce the peripheral dose and neutron production. This method has advantages over the double-scattering beam that is employed in all other proton therapy facilities in the United States.
- Proton therapy is not experimental and has been used in the United States since 1946.
- Our research accomplishments include papers and presentations at local, national and international meetings by physicians, physicists and therapists. Our research has also been published in multiple high-profile peer-reviewed journals.
- Proton therapy is covered by numerous health insurance plans, including Medicare.
- Our location in Bloomington, Ind., is ideal for an extended stay. The community is welcoming to visitors and has much to offer with activities, events and accommodations. Patients come from around the world to receive treatment at the IU Health Proton Therapy Center.