Things To Do in Bloomington, IN
Indiana University and the Indiana University Health Proton Therapy Center are located in Bloomington, Ind. This city of approximately 80,000 residents and 40,000 students is largely influenced by the famous Big Ten University that has always called Bloomington home.
When you come to the IU Health Proton Therapy Center for your treatment, you enter a community that is widely known for its natural beauty and scenic surroundings. Unique shops, incredible eateries, outdoor recreation, cultural offerings, and community events and festivals are among the many opportunities for patients and their families to explore. You also will find world-class opera and ballet performances, touring Broadway shows, a thriving music scene, a Tibetan Mongolian Buddhist Cultural Center, world-class dining and Big Ten athletic events. Bloomington offers the friendly charm of small-town living and at the same time, lets you enjoy some of the amenities you would expect from a much larger city.
The patient concierge at the IU Health Proton Therapy Center publishes a weekly Community Calendar to inform guests about area activities.
In addition to everything that Bloomington has to offer, other major cities in the Midwest are only a short drive away. Our proximity to Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Louisville, St. Louis, and Chicago makes weekend excursions easy.
The Bloomington Convention and Visitors Center is your official travel information source for everything from restaurant recommendations to day trip suggestions. The main location is on the north side of town at 2855 N. Walnut Street. The Downtown Visitors Center provides visitor information and ticketing for local events. It is conveniently located just off the courthouse square, inside the Sunrise Box Office of the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.
The IU Visitor Information Center is the official front door of Indiana University and is located just outside the Sample Gates on the southwest edge of campus. Here you can find campus maps, arrange a tour and get all your questions answered. The university campus has been recognized as one of the five most beautiful in the nation and features incredible local limestone architecture. On campus, you’ll find a variety of incredible museums and attractions – many of them open to the public with no admission charge!
- Center for Lifelong Learning
- Farmers’ Market
- Monroe County Public Library – Contact patient concierge for registration paperwork.
- WonderLab Museum of Science, Health and Technology – Contact patient concierge for free children’s admission tickets.
Athletic Activities and Events
- Area parks and pools
- Bloomington Speedway
- Golf options – Contact patient concierge for special discounts available exclusively to our guests.
- Hunting and fishing
- Indiana University Athletics
- Indiana University Recreational Sports – Contact patient concierge for fee-based access for guests.
- Twin Lakes Recreation Center
- YMCA – Contact patient concierge for information about free access for guests.
- Bloomington Visitors Bureau
- Bloomington, City Government
- Downtown Bloomington
- Indiana University Visitor’s Center
- Monroe County Government
- African American Arts Institute (Indiana University)
- Glenn A. Black Laboratory of Archaeology (Indiana University)
- Gaden KhachoeShing Monestary
- Grunwald Gallery of Art (Indiana University)
- Indiana University Art Museum
- Lilly Library (Indiana University)
- Mathers Museum of World Cultures (Indiana University)
- Monroe County History Center
- Tibetan Mongolian Buddhist Cultural Center and Kumbum Chamtse Ling Temple
- Wylie House Museum (Indiana University)
- Ace car rental - 812.727.2005
- Budget car rental - 812.336.1181
- Enterprise car rental - 812.336.6635
- National car rental - 812.339.3443
Restaurants, Local Breweries and Wineries
- Bloomington Cooking School
- Bloomington restaurants
- Butler Winery & Vineyards
- Oliver Winery
- Upland Brewery
Theater and Music Venues
- Bloomington Playwrights Project
- Buskirk-Chumley Theater
- Cardinal Stage Company
- Indiana University Auditorium
- Indiana Univeristy Jacobs School of Music
- Indiana University Department of Theater & Drama events
- Movie theaters
- Starlite Drive-In Theater
- Bloomington Transit – Bloomington's city bus system.
- BT Access – Service for persons with disabilities who cannot use the Bloomington Transit “fixed route” bus system.
- E2 Taxi – 812.961.TAXI (cash and credit cards accepted)
- GO Express Travel Bloomington Indiana Shuttle – Transportation between Bloomington and Indianapolis Airport.
- Red Tire Taxi – 812.269.2690 (cash and credit cards accepted)
- Yellow Cab – 812.339.9744 (cash only)