How We Can Help
Emphysema Treatment Information
IU Health Pulmonology & Respiratory Care physicians offer comprehensive treatment for emphysema, including:
- Education. Our specialists can teach you how to change your lifestyle to better manage your emphysema.
- Smoking cessation support. We will provide you with the support you need to quit smoking to reduce the severity of your emphysema.
- Prescription medications. Prescription inhalers can keep your airways open, making it easier to breathe.
- Pulmonary rehabilitation. During pulmonary rehabilitation, you’ll learn breathing and physical exercises that can improve your symptoms.
- Oxygen therapy. Emphysema can keep your body from getting the oxygen it needs. Oxygen therapy delivers concentrated levels of oxygen to try to improve your body’s functions.
- Bullectomy. Our physicians use bullectomy to surgically remove air pockets in your lungs. Without the air pockets, you can breathe better.
- Lung volume reduction surgery. Our physicians can remove the damaged areas of your lungs so the healthy airways can work better.
- Lung transplant. IU Health is the only healthcare system that performs lung transplants in the state of Indiana. This procedure is only used in extreme cases of emphysema.
Emphysema Locations & Physicians
Use the search options below to find treatments available in your area.
Find a Specialist
Enter a Zip Code to find a specialist at IU Health.
Emphysema Support Services
Emphysema can have a huge impact on your life, but education and support from the website below can help you manage your condition.
A Sampling of Emphysema Support Services
American Lung Association
This website answers frequently asked questions about emphysema and COPD.
National Emphysema Foundation
This website provides education, support, news and events for patients with emphysema.