Respiratory & Pulmonology
Solutions for peace of mind
The foundation of our care is our team of respiratory physicians that find the best solutions.
The team at Indiana University Health can provide expert treatment of any acute and chronic lung disorder, including pulmonary disease, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), lung cancer, pulmonary infections, sleep disorders and asthma. We understand each patient requires individualized treatment, and we take the time necessary to determine how to treat a patient’s condition that best suits his/her lifestyle.
Our pulmonary & respiratory care physicians are specialists in diagnosing and treating breathing diseases and lung conditions, applying the newest technology and strategies to help you breath more easily. Rated among the very best in Pulmonology by U.S.News & World Report for our Academic Health Center facilities, IU Health pulmonology, critical care and sleep specialists focus on education and rehabilitation to improve our patients' health and quality of life.
We offer comprehensive respiratory care to both inpatients and outpatients and continue to improve the quality of care for our patients in many ways, including:
- Over 3 million dollars in research funding in the areas of COPD, lung transplant, pulmonary fibrosis, asthma, cystic fibrosis, pulmonary hypertension, lung cancer, lung host defense, HIV infection and the respiratory microbiome.
- Focused outpatient clinics in cystic fibrosis, pulmonary hypertension, sarcoidosis, interstitial lung disease and allergy
- Intensive Care Unit with in-house coverage and the capability to treat complex transplant patients
- Multidisciplinary Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program combining medical treatment with education
- Among a select group of hospitals nationwide to earn Quality Respiratory Care Recognition under a national program aimed at helping patients and families make informed decisions about the quality of the respiratory care services available in hospitals.
IU Health’s comprehensive program of respiratory care is built on years of experience, resulting in the best possible treatment and care with ultimately better outcomes for all our patients.
Watch how IU Health has helped patients with respiratory and pulmonology problems.
Respiratory & Pulmonology Treatment
IU Health Pulmonology & Respiratory Care provides comprehensive care for both inpatients and outpatients with pulmonary disease. Our respiratory therapists offer a number of inpatient and outpatient diagnostic and therapeutic services for lung and respiratory system conditions, including:
Select a Respiratory & Pulmonology condition below to access information from our Health Library as well as how IU Health can help.
Respiratory & Pulmonology Innovation
IU Health Pulmonology is dedicated to providing the best possible care to our patients, bringing them the latest in multidisciplinary care. We’re at the forefront of developing new innovations and technologies and our partnership with the IU School of Medicine allows us to offer faster access to the latest innovations and treatment options.
Our strengths and accomplishments include:
- Our Telemedicine, Electronic ICU, is the only one of its kind in the state. From a diagnostic lab with in IU Health Methodist Hospital, our specialists are able to monitor several hundred ICU beds across five hospitals. This advanced technology allows us to provide expert care to patients across the state, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Cystic Fibrosis is one of the most common chronic lung diseases seen in children, but it continues throughout adults as well. Our team is the only center in the state conducting Cystic Fibrosis research for adults, allowing our patients to benefit from the latest and most advanced treatments.
- Among approximately ten percent of hospitals nationwide to receive the Quality Respiratory Care Recognition (QRCR) under a national program that helps patients and families make informed decisions about the quality of respiratory care services available. Hospitals earning the QRCR designation assure patient safety by agreeing to adhere to a strict set of criteria governing respiratory care services.
- Received over 3 million dollars in research funding in the areas of COPD, lung transplant, pulmonary fibrosis, asthma, cystic fibrosis, pulmonary hypertension, lung cancer, lung host defense, HIV infection, and the respiratory microbiome.
Respiratory & Pulmonology Team
Our team of skilled pulmonology professionals at IU Health work to evaluate, treat, and deliver the best possible care to patients experiencing a variety of respiratory disorders. Our team of experts includes pulmonary physicians, critical care specialists, sleep specialists, pulmonary rehabilitation specialists, researchers, pulmonary nurses, nurse practitioners, respiratory therapists, physical therapists, nutritionists, counselors and transplantation specialists. We are committed to giving all our patients comfort, answers, options and results.