Correct Use of Metered-Dose Inhaler with Spacer & Mask
- Remove the cap and hold inhaler upright
- Inspect mouthpiece for foreign objects.
- Shake the inhaler
- Push inhaler into rubber end of spacer.
- Place soft mask on face covering the mouth and nose
- Keep mask firmly against face so that no air escapes around it. Your child is able to easily breathe through the mask.
- Press down on inhaler to release puff of medication.
- Continue to hold mask firmly against your child's face while he/she breathes at least six times.
- Wait 1 minute and repeat puff if directed. The waiting time helps the second puff get farther into the lungs.
Follow these inhaler tips:
- If your child is scared of the mask, let him/her hold it or rub it on his/her cheek.
- If your child cries during the treatment, he/she will still receive the medicine as long as the mask is firmly against his/her face with no air escaping.
- It may be necessary to hold your child's arms down to keep him/her from pulling the mask away from his/her face.