Correct Use of Metered-Dose Inhaler
Avoid common inhaler mistakes.
Follow these inhaler tips:
Remove the cap and hold inhaler upright.
- Shake the inhaler.
- Tilt your head back slightly and breathe out slowly.
- Position the inhaler 1 to 2 inches away from mouth with mouth open.
- Press down on the inhaler to release puff of medication as you start to breathe in slowly.
- Breathe in slowly (3 to 5 seconds).
- Hold your breath for 10 seconds to allow the medicine to reach deeply into your lungs.
Repeat puffs as directed. Waiting 1 minute between puffs helps the second puff to get farther into the lungs.
- Breathe out before pressing your inhaler.
- Inhale slowly.
- Breathe in through your mouth, not your nose.
- Press down on your inhaler at the start of inhalation (or within the first second of inhalation).
- Keep inhaling as you press down on inhaler.
- Press your inhaler only once while you are inhaling (one breath for each puff).
- Make sure you breathe in evenly and deeply.