Correct use of Metered-Dose Inhaler with Spacer and Mouthpiece
- Remove the cap and hold inhaler upright.
- Inspect mouthpiece for foreign objects.
- Shake the inhaler.
- Push inhaler into rubber end of spacer.
- Tilt your head back slightly and breathe out slowly.
- Place mouthpiece in mouth.
- Press down on the inhaler to release puff of medication as you start to breathe in slowly.
- Breathe in slowly (3 to 5 seconds).
- Hold your breath for 10 seconds to allow the medicine to reach deeply into your lungs.
- Repeat puffs as directed. Waiting 1 minutes between puffs helps the second puff to get farther into your lungs.
Avoid common inhaler mistakes.
Follow these inhaler tips:
- Breathe out before pressing your inhaler.
- Inhale slowly.
- Breathe in through your mouth not your nose.
- Press your inhaler only once while you are inhaling (one breath for each puff)
- Make sure you breathe in evenly and deeply.