It can be very frightening to your child when he or she has difficulty breathing. It is important to relax and remain calm because anxiety can make the symptoms worse.
If your child becomes anxious during an asthma episode, you can try one of the following methods to help him/her relax.
- Relax the shoulders and neck.
- Breathe in through the nose.
- Breathe out through puckered lips.
- Place hands on stomach.
- Breathe in deeply through the nose so that stomach and hands rise.
- Breathe air slowly out of the mouth while watching stomach and hands fall.
- Try not to move the chest while breathing.