One of the questions commonly asked by parents when their child has been newly diagnosed with insulin-dependent diabetes is "what do we do about babysitters?" Often parents feel guilty leaving their child, afraid that something will happen when they are gone.
Possible Solutions for Child Care
- Start out by having the child stay with close friends and family members to help you feel comfortable about going out.
- Ask the person to come over a couple of days beforehand so that you can teach them how to care for your child.
- Give them a brief description of what diabetes is. Talk about how to recognize and treat low blood sugar reactions. Instruct them about what they will need to do while you are away - blood testing, insulin injections, meals and snacks.
- Give specific instructions on whatever will be required (i.e. at 8pm, Sally will receive a snack consisting of....) You will also want to provide alternative snacks in case your child refuses what you had planned.
- Finally, provide telephone numbers that might be needed, including where you can be reached.