Every year, IUSM/Riley Hospital for Children at Indiana University Health hosts pediatricians-in-training from Moi University School of Medicine in Kenya. These pediatric registrars spend several months rotating on pediatric services at Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health, learning about the practice of pediatrics in the U.S.
IUSM/Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health faculty members also open their homes to students, medical trainees and faculty members from all parts of the world. Others have welcomed international children into their families through formal adoption and informal support.
IUSM/Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health Faculty International Hosts and Families
- Pamela Bandy - and her husband adopted a two-year-old from Haiti. She had an abdominal retroperitoneal teratoma that weighed 10% of her body weight, and her medical needs were taken care of at Riley at IU Health.
- D. Wade Clapp - supports foreign scholars in the laboratory from China and Germany.
- Gopal Krishna - The Section of Pediatric Anesthesia at Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health was host to Dr. Kamrul Hassan. During his visits to Riley at IU Health, Dr. Hassan observed every type of pediatric anesthesia including airway emergencies, neonatal anesthesia and cardiac anesthesia.
- Edward Liechty - has hosted Kenyan medical students, Kenyan pediatricians-in-training, and other Kenya physicians.
- Randall Loder - and his department have hosted both the Japanese-Americans traveling fellowship, as well as the Southeast Asian Pacific traveling fellowships.
- Richard Miyamoto - hosted delegates from the honored guest countries, Japan and the Netherlands at the AAO-HNS annual meeting.
- Gregory Montgomery - and his spouse were host parents to a 17-year-old girl from Vienna, Austria.
- Richard Rink - frequently has visitors from around the world to watch medical procedures.
- Steven Steiner - hosted a Kenyan exchange resident.
- John Stevens - hosted Maria Flores, the former first lady, and several physicians from Honduras to meet with many physicians and hospital personnel at Riley at IU Healh.
- Robert Tepper - has research fellows from Argentina, Brazil, and Chile working in his laboratory at Riley Hospital for Children at IU Healh.
- Laurence Walsh - with support from Pediatric Pulmonology, is hosting Dr. Li, a child neurologist from the major neurologists in Beijing, China.
- Gregory Wilson - has hosted several individuals from Kenya.
- Mervin Yoder - will be hosting the ISEH this year in Boston. He has also hosted graduate students from the University of Lille, France in 2004 and 2006.