Burns

As children grow they begin to grab everything. It's important to remember not to leave cups of coffee on tables or counter edges. Never carry hot liquids or food near your child or while holding your child. He or she could get burned.

If you allow your child to crawl or walk around stoves, wall or floor heaters or other hot appliances, he or she may get burned. A safe place for your child while you are cooking, eating or unable to provide your full attention is the playpen, crib, stationary activity center, or buckled into a high chair.

If your child does get burned put the burned area in cold water immediately. Keep the burned area in cold water for a few minutes to cool it off. Then cover the burn loosely with a dry bandage or clean cloth. Call your doctor for all burns. To protect your child from tap water scalds the hottest temperature at the facuet should be no more than 120 Fahrenheit. In many cases, you can adjust your water heater.

Fireworks Safety for Families

Even though they are fun, fireworks are dangerous. Fireworks can result in severe burns, scars and disfigurement that can last a lifetime, Even fireworks that are often though to be safe, (i.e. sparklers) can reach temperature above 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit, and can burn users and bystanders.

Families should attend community fireworks displays run by professionals rather than using fireworks at home. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends prohibiting public sale of all fireworks, including those by mail or the Internet.

Fire Safety at Home

Help keep your family safe year round by implementing the following tips from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP).

Keeping Your Family Safe

  • Never leave small children alone in the home, even for a minute.
  • Place a barrier around open flames.
  • Do not allow children to play near fireplaces, radiators, space heaters or kitchen stoves.
  • Do not wear loose-fitting clothing near a stove, fireplace, or open space heater.

Fire Prevention

  • Do not smoke in your home, especially in bed.
  • Dispose of cigarette butts, matches, and ashes with care.
  • Keep matches and lighters away from children.
  • Be sure your gas water heater is off the ground. Spilled flammable liquids will be ignited by the pilot light.
  • Have your heating system and fireplace checked and cleaned yearly. Fall is a great time to do this.
  • Leave plenty of room around space heaters. They should be at least 2 feet from anything that might burn, like curtains and furniture. Turn space heaters off and unplug them when you go to bed or leave the home.
  • Check electric appliances and cords regularly for wear or loose connections.
  • Use only appropriate fuses for lighting circuits. Never use a substitute for a fuse.

Family Preparedness

  • Install long-life smoke alarms with lithium-powered batteries on every level of your home especially in furnace and sleeping areas.
  • Plan several escape routes from the house. Plan a place to meet right after leaving the house.
  • Conduct home fire drills with your family. Even preschool-aged children (3 and under) can begin to learn what to do in case of a fire.
  • Place fire extinguishers around the home where the risk of fire is greatest-in the kitchen and furnace room, and near the fireplace.

In Case of a Fire

  • Get everyone outside right away. Go to your planned meeting place.
  • Do not stop to dress or put out the fire. (Most deaths occur from suffocation due to hot fumes and smoke, not from direct burning.)
  • Call the fire department from a neighbor's house.