Many times you will find that you are eating the right types of healthy food s but are eating too much of a good thing. Your food guide pyramid helps you to better understand how many portions of each food group you need. Now it is important to understand what a healthy portion size looks like.
Here are some examples. Think about what you currently consider to be a portion size of each example then click on the example to see how accurate you are.
- 1 ounce of grains
- 1 medium fruit
- 1 ounce of cheese
- 3 ounces of meat, fish, poultry
- 2 tablespoons of peanut butter
- ½ cup cooked pasta or rice
Block #2 Activity
Use the Meal Tracking Worksheet that you printed earlier from the "My Pyramid" website, write down what you have to eat each day on the worksheet. Also write down:
- How many portions of each food group did you eat?
- Did you meet your needs for the food groups?
- Did you have too much of some food groups?
- What can you do to improve your pyramid?
Place this information in your Riley Hospital for Children Stay Active in Life (SAIL) at Indiana University Health binder.